Got a deal, now need advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2003, 01:32 PM   #1
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Got a deal, now need advice

I got what looks to be a fantastic deal on a used oscilloscope. Its a Tektronix 2252 that came with 4 probes (all 10x passive), but no manual. Here's my dilemma, I'm not that familliar with scopes, and I'm not quite sure how to use one properly. Does anyone have some suggestions on places on the net showing the basics on proper scope use?

As an example of a typical question/problem I'd have: I hooked the scope up to the AC line to see how bad my electrical feed is. Surprisingly, it didn't look horrible. Now my question, when I told the scope to give an RMS voltage, it said 34... volts AC. Now, knowing that I have a 10x probe, I would assume I would just multiply by 10 and get the correct voltage, but that would mean my 110 line is puttin out 340 volts!! I KNOW that can't be right, so what's the correct way of figuring out the proper voltage? (The display shows a total swing of +- 40V at 5V setting)

Thanks for the help!

P.S. - just to make myself feel good, I got the scope for $85.50 in an auction at work! (How's that for a deal?)

Hide this!Advertise here!