Interconnects... (uggh, another thread on cables... ;) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interconnects... (uggh, another thread on cables... ;)

Yes, I know, another thread discussing cables....

Why? Well, just about every thread I find on the subject creates more questions than answers.

Goal: Short length good quality interconnects from DAC to Miniwatt Tube amp. (3.5w single ended pentode.)

Dilemma: There is so much conflicting info out there and so little substance to really go on. A lot of this is meaningless to a slow-poke like me. e.g. high vs low capacitance?? When does it matter? This is a pretty confusing subject overall just because there doesn't seem to be a clear right or wrong...and so much hype and crazy marketing that for newbies like me we have no idea what to try. I suppose the issue is that everyone speaks about cables as if there is some holy grail - yet in reality its a crapshoot and differences are often imagined rather than real?

Price Range: Below $75 either bought new or DIY. (Including terminations.)

Shielding: This is one of the things really confusing me. Is there a way for me to figure out if I need shielding or not? It seems a lot of manufacturers aren't too concerned about shielding (e.g. Kimber Kable) but I would think to play it safe and include shielding? And then there are all sorts of shielding types...I honestly have no clue.

Solid core vs stranded: Sigh. Does it really matter? Sounds like strand-jumping is not relevant at low voltages used in Audio?

Gauge: There seems to be no consistency or rhyme or reason? When would one go with a higher vs lower gauge? At short distances 24g is probably enough?

Insulation: Teflon seems to have a good reputation. This seems to be one of the less confusing items though some people question the need for Teflon. (I am perfectly happy using Teflon and don't see the need to debate this.)

Terminations: Crimped Canare vs. soldered... Copper vs Silver vs. plated brass vs. Eichmann vs rah rah rah I like the idea of the Canare crimped connectors (though I realize this is not a DIY option). For DIY - just how important is Copper vs. say, gold-plated brass vs. silver etc?

If replying to this post, please try to be constructive and help simplify the issue for newbies rather than emphasising the can of worms that it is. To make this constructive for all the other clueless types like me reading this thread in future, I will be rating responses on my confus-o-meter. (Entirely machined out of a solid block of rhodium. It is very accurate.) A score of 1 means that you gave a shitty and confusing reply. A score of 10 means that you are a genius at explaining complicated things to simple minds... (I have my 99.99999972% pure silver flack-jacket on...)

Last edited by platplaas; 5th December 2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: sugar-coating
Old 5th December 2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think you should take a step back and look at your system as a whole and try and balance things. $75 is a lot of money to spend on a set of IC's. Is the rest of your system top notch? Could that sort of money make a bigger difference elsewhere? Before you lay out that kind of coin let us know what the rest of your system is and perhaps we can help you from there.
Old 5th December 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Confus-o-meter rating: 10 - You are an advice genius

This strikes me as really good advice.

My system at the moment is Imac computer source - generic USB cable - Nuforce Udac2 - Radio Shack interconnects - Miniwatt EL84 single ended tube amp - DIY Cat5 plenum (teflon) speaker cables (4 twisted pair braided) - Fostex Fe206ens in BIB enclosures.
Old 5th December 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Perfect. I would use the 10 dollar type cable.
Old 5th December 2010, 11:02 PM   #5
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platplaas View Post
Goal: Short length good quality interconnects from DAC to Miniwatt Tube amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by platplaas View Post
- Radio Shack interconnects -
Mission accomplished!
Now go spend the money on alcohol - it makes everything sound better.
Old 5th December 2010, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is great news! Problem solved.

The sceptic in me says: "Are Radio-Shack cables really OK?" and "if all of these forums and websites are going on about zillions of cable options...is a $10 cable = to a $100 cable?"

For the sake of closure and for other newbies out there: Is that all there is to it? i.e. at what point or in what context should one actually worry about interconnects? Is it all just blown way out of proportion??
Old 5th December 2010, 11:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Witblitz

@ godfrey - I'll spend the money on droewors and witblitz...and chomp away while I listen to klipwerf. (Can you believe it - even klipwerf sounds good on my new system!!)

Last edited by platplaas; 5th December 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: ...
Old 5th December 2010, 11:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK - new scenario. Where would you recommend I should spend money on the system?? i.e. what is the weakest link...(other than the source - the computer is too damn convenient to switch out for vinyl.) Or should I just stop here.
Old 5th December 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

beer fridge.
Old 5th December 2010, 11:40 PM   #10
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

My advice - go read every page on Blue Jeans Cable's website.

Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

IMO, these guys are the best of the best when it comes to separating Horse Hockey from real information, and their price/performance ratio is probably the best in the world.

Last edited by 6L6; 5th December 2010 at 11:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!