Large Spague cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a pretty noobie question here.

I have read about people increasing the size of their power supply caps to "stiffen" their power supplies. Suposedly this helps with bass power and resolution. Is there any limit to the amount you could increase? The reason I ask is that I came across a very large Sprague 1000uf 450VDC cap at the estate sale of an electronics engineer. Its about the size of a beer can.

I was thinking about putting it in my old HH Scott 340B. From what I have read, it sounds like the 340B already has a very robust PS, but why not tinker?

Would this be too much of a good thing? If so, does this thing have any value to any one else here on the forum. I'd sell it.

I also have a 42000 mfd 30WV cap. I guess that means 30 volts? Its also about the size of a beer can. Any use for it?

Hi CJH,
More uF stiffens the power supply. Thats a fact!!!
And it will certainly improve your bass power. The caps in the power supply acts as batteries containing power for your output device. The caps are in fact working as the main power source to drive your load.

You can easily improve your amp by adding more uF in the power supply, however the 1000 uF caps you got are almost useless.

Large (and very expencive) power amplifiers got 2 x 100,000 uF or more in the power supply.

I don't know this HH Scott 340B of yours, but you should add at least 10,000 uF to get a sigificant improvement....
And don't worry! Add it! If the fuses blow during turn on, replace then with ones of a larger slow Ampere designation.

Your 42,000 uF/30WV caps are intended for max 30 Volts as to your own conclusion.

mistake?

I think I may have made a mistake. The Sprague cap says "1000 450 VDC". No units on the "1000" but it is physically 20-30 times bigger than the caps in the amp right now. Is it possible for such a large cap to only be 1000uf? It also has part # "D34905 6442-J" written on it.

The other cap says "42000 MFD" I take it that must be micro, not milli.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.