Better RCA/Phono jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes you can spend $43.40 for one pair of WBT from Welborne Labs or buy these off Ebay from a guy in Hong Kong. I got FOUR pair for $29.99 shipped and he included the silver solder. I know they don't say WBT, but who gives a rip. How many times has someone turned your gear around to see who's connectors your using?

Attachments

• rca2.jpg
    rca2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 695
But how do they sound? I bought some CMC jacks in Singapore for about the same price and they sound way worse than what i get from my local shop in JHB at 1/5 of the price; true sonic poison. Making a good-sounding jack goes deeper than a badge. No experience with WBT as i normally use cheap Cardas which are mellow and pleasant but not very extended.

cheers
peter

If you have good contact connectors
with isolation, the will be no sonic
signature.

Even a child can make connectors
that meet this criteria.

:rolleyes:

I suppose only "brand name"
and "expensive" connectors
are the ONLY good connectors
on the planet.

:rolleyes:

Don't let marketing literature influence
you. It's a game they play to make
money.

Ah, thanks for opening my eyes. I was so busy reading marketing literature that never figured all connectors sounded exactly the same. Was i stupid, or what? After all connectors are just pieces of wire and as lots of you guys have long been poining out all wire of same gauge sounds equal. A nice and tidy communist utopia of sound. Shame i have no children, they would have built me some great connectors.

analog_sa said:
Ah, thanks for opening my eyes. I was so busy reading marketing literature that never figured all connectors sounded exactly the same. Was i stupid, or what? After all connectors are just pieces of wire and as lots of you guys have long been poining out all wire of same gauge sounds equal. A nice and tidy communist utopia of sound. Shame i have no children, they would have built me some great connectors.

They won't be the same! But not all the "brand name" or "expensive" products are the best. Even with similar construction, but different material will have different performance. HIFI is such thing can only use your EARS, not your EYES!
Let say WBT, they have various series of RCA plugs. Do you think they all sound the same? (remember same manufacturer) Don't trust anybody, just find it out by yourself through experiments.

:)

For eons people and business have made
millions selling the snake oil or as Richard
Clark says.. I've been using dinosaur
repellent in my back yard for years
and I can honestly say I have not
seen any since......

A solution is to pray to God for
the ability to see past the snake
oil, then life is much easier.

They won't be the same! But not all the "brand name" or "expensive" products are the best. Even with similar construction, but different material will have different performance. HIFI is such thing can only use your EARS, not your EYES!

DSummer

My reply was not for you, apologies. I fully agree with what you write above. My initial remark was that i tried some chinese made look-alikes which i bought in HK and Singapore at almost the Cardas price and they were real trash, worse than what i buy att my corner electronics store. They were badged as CMC (Charming Musical Conductor - USA, well name says it all :)) and came as both gold plated and bare copper (?)and insulation is not teflon. Yes, they do look like real connectors and some high-end chinese cd players/amps seem to use them, but the way they trash the sound!

peter

Attachments

• cmc.jpg
    cmc.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 527
Hi, Peter,

I know, sometimes we waste money on trying the new nice looking products, but always disappoint us . That's why I'm here, learning experience from other members without paying a Penny.
I have also bought some connectors from Hong Kong and Taiwan. Usually the Taiwan products are better, but still depends on which manufacturer (there has at least 10 factory producing connectors in Taiwan) The connectors from Hong Kong are mainly from China nowadays due to the cheaper prices. I have a WBT looking RCA plug, it's made of magnetic metal instead of copper when I broke it into half, what can you expect the sound?

when I broke it into half

Ha, ha
non-invasive testing, huh? That's one good reason to stick with 'branded' stuff and be prejudiced, right? The Cardas rhodium connectors, while certainly not perfect, always manages to sound pleasant and musical and the WBT, which i still haven't tried, is sure to not disappoint. The 'replicas', otoh, while designed to look identical are often made with absolutely no interest in sound and often sound worse than cheap generic connectors.

Shaun

Nobody in SA sells any good connectors to my knowledge and you'd be way better off using solder joits instead of ,as a good friend of mine locally does. Still, the cheapos at AP Electronics in JHB beat most (all?) of the chinese imitations. Of course if you have any sense you'd rather buy Cardas from Partsconnexion as the value is much better. I have been buying 99% of all partrs i use off the net for many years as the local stuff is not just bad, it's ridiculously overpriced as well. In fact i buy almost everything bar groceries from the net as the value is usually much better. If more people had the same attitude local distributors/retailers might catch a wake-up.

cheers
peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

the WBT, which i still haven't tried, is sure to not disappoint.

Hmmm....I wouldn't count on it though.

I had all my RCA connectors replaced on pramp, amp and all of my cables and was disappointed with the results.

Maybe the new ones sound better....I did my experiment roughly eight years ago.

Has anyone tried these Eichman plugs?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.