Better RCA/Phono jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This thread ranks almost tied with
the thread on another forum where
one poster said that removing the
plastic wrap on capacitors improves
the sound.

Do this test. Insert a 100 ohm
resistor inline on the preamp RCA line
to simulate a bad RCA making poor
contact. (this is very extreme),
typically you may read a couple ohms
max, closer to zero.

Typical amplifiers have high input
impedance, lets say 5000 ohms to
100,000 ohms, more typical is 10,000 to
47,000 ohms.

These input resistors are typically
arbitrarily chosen for ease of circuit
design, they could chose 10,000 ohms,
15,000 ohms or 47,000 ohms....

These resistors have 1% to 5%
tolerance.

Now adding an extra 100 ohms
of bad contact resistance is like
trying to put out a forest fire
with a cup of water. doesn't do
anything.

If you have poor contact, you may
experience an intermittent signal,
the signal cuts in and cuts out.

There is no magic.

But, two RCA jacks, one in each
ear may cure lung cancer....

Another eyeopener :) What's a bad contact have to do with a 100ohm resistor? Did anyone ever mentioned a crave for low resistance? The contact effects, similarly to cable effects, have little to do with linear resistance.

But, two RCA jacks, one in each ear may cure lung cancer....

You may try removing said jacks from your ears prior to listening. I realise that you're very unlikely to have ever bought an audio-grade component as you don't pay good money to charlatans, but the audible difference between even industrial grade components is obvious to a set of unencumbered by prejudice ears :)

Some people believe in magic
and human levitation as performed
by this man.

http://www.davidblaine.com/

My next goal is to market some
David Blaine SuperSounding[tm]
RCA connectors.

Mine will be better that what
is available on the market.
The unique magic metal will force
electrons to act as filters, no need for
passive or active crossovers,
my RCA will perform low pass,
bandpass, and high pass function
depending on which model you chose.

Other versions will include 12 band
of equalizations........ determined
by RCA rotation........

analog_sa said:

......and you'd be way better off using solder joints instead of ,as a good friend of mine locally does.

cheers
peter

Hi all,

IMHO hardwired interconnects sound much better that ANY
connector, and it's much cheaper , too :nod:

A bit unpractical if you change interconnects all the time of course,
but since we have to warm up the soldering iron anyway ...;)

cheers ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Not something I would try on a 4.000$ cartridge....:att'n:

BTW, anyone remember Tweak, the contact enhancing fluid?

Cheers,;)
I remember Tweak, but I never used it. I used Cramolin (the old stuff) and still do, but not as religiously as I should.

Attachments

• cramolin_01.jpg
    cramolin_01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 257
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I used Cramolin (the old stuff) and still do, but not as religiously as I should.

We probably all should use it religiously...If I recall it correctly both Cramolin and Tweak were based on a substance Caig Industries made for Nasa, big computers such as vaxes and mainframes.

It is non-conductive but works great on any contact, it prevents contact oxidisation and fills those microscopically small pits on even the shiniest of surfaces...I have no idea whether any of it is still commercially available though.

Than there was this little kit from Audio Technica as well, with plastic male images of RCA jacks and all other common audio connectors that allowed you to thorougly clean the inside of those female and male connectors.... oh yes, these do get dirty.

Ah well, when we start to go down this memory lane of our fav accessories, I'm sure we all could dig up some more...

Cheers guys, ;)

Here's your Cardas connexion in Canada
http://www.partsconnexion.com/partscomponents.php
They don't have the full line, but they have quite a lot.
-------------------------------------------------------------

They are the same as before (Partrs Connection). They don't answer emails on orders pending confirmation of availability. They seem to want to make you phone.

I don't understand what many internet vendors are doing; just throwing away business and good will. I shall avoid using them unless I must. One Parts Connection staff member told me that he was too busy to deal with mail and there was only one person who dealt professionally with orders.

That might be the true, but I also waited 2 weeks for Michael Percy to reply to my e-mail order. I like Partsconnexion, because they are local, and I can always drive there to pick up my order the same day. This is a family based business, out of a house, but I believe they do the best to get you the parts you need. I believe that others (LC Audio comes to mind) didn't return your e-mails either. If you buy a calling card it will last you probably a year to make your orders on the phone and shouldn't cost more than $15.;); there is a 1-800 number but it probably doesn't work from Europe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.