Where In Australia ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
Restoring an early 80's Yamaha D85 Organ I need to get my hands on exact replacements for these:
1/ TC4016BP -Jaycar staff think a 4016 may do BUT I really need to ensure they are compatible with the originals which have the BP suffix..
2/ NJM4558 dual opamp,Jaycar staff say TLC555CP should do..
3/ TC4071BP,
and TA7531 Opamp.
I'm no expert in this, so I need to ask the experts on here for their divine guidance- I don't want to install incompatible "chips" and fry them or the instrument.
All advice will be so appreciated. Thanks guys.

on the 4558, look at your board and see if you have the dual in line package (two rows of 4 pins) or single in line package (one line of pins). They don't interchange. I like the US version of distributor farnell.co.uk, but don't know how you access their southern hemisphere stock. Usually 555's are timers, not op amps, any company that has a private numbering scheme that uses this famous number for another famous number is really strange.

I'd recommend Farnell to anyone in Australia or New Zealand. They don't have exact replacements for the things you want, but they do have these equivalents:

- HEF4016BP instead of TC4016BP (this is the Philips equivalent to the Toshiba part).
- MC4558 instead of NJM4558 (this is the ST Micro equivalent to the New Japan Radio part). This only applies if you're after the NJM4558D, the 8DIP package version. I don't know what the people you were talking with were thinking, but the TLC555 is a timer, not an opamp, and is not a replacement for an NJM4558.
- HEF4071BP instead of TC4071BP, again the Philips equivalent.

The TA7531 might be a bit harder to replace, I couldn't even find a datasheet for it. What package is it, and does it have a manufacturer's mark?

Guys MANY thanks for your replies. I have checked Altronics but Farnell seems to be the best suited to my needs.
at member amc184, ...that original unit being the JRC4558DV, as you indicated Farnell can supply the 4558"D" ..would that be ok in place of the "DV" ? Would U let me know your thoughts??
BTW as there are hundreds of caps that I am replacing in this keyboard I was chuffed to see the gr8 prices of caps with Farnell..So thanks guys, especially to the Kiwi :)

The V in the JRC4558DV is a version suffix, it still uses an 8DIP package, and the replacement I suggested before still stands. Farnell is certainly the place to go for the capacitors as well. Stick to reputable brands when replacing the electrolytic capacitors, I'd suggest Nippon Chemicon or Panasonic.

capacitors

You really need to look at your PCB and see if your 4558's are 8 pins in 1 row (sip), or two rows of 4 pins(dip). They don't interchange. Looking at the link on farnell site to datasheet well tell you what each suffix is. They didnt stock 4558 SIP in USA when I looked, I found them on mouser for a numark mixer. In caps, I am also getting good results from Vishay capacitors, both roderon made in europe, and sprague, mostly made in USA. Also in 1-10 uf size, aerovox ceramics made in mexico, direct replacement for former electrolytics in power supply bypass (but not for frequency filters). Any electrolytic cap you buy, look at the hours of design life on the farnell selector chart. Buy 2000 hours up electrolytic caps, they have better rubber seals etc.

Help wanted

Hi

I was reading the thread where you were restoring a Yamaha organ and from the questions I saw it would seem I am doing much the same to a Yamaha D85 as well.
Did you ever manage to find sources for the chips you were seeking?
Any help would be well received.
Thanks

Guys MANY thanks for your replies. I have checked Altronics but Farnell seems to be the best suited to my needs.
at member amc184, ...that original unit being the JRC4558DV, as you indicated Farnell can supply the 4558"D" ..would that be ok in place of the "DV" ? Would U let me know your thoughts??
BTW as there are hundreds of caps that I am replacing in this keyboard I was chuffed to see the gr8 prices of caps with Farnell..So thanks guys, especially to the Kiwi :)

great prices, Farnell? :confused: wow was this a tongue in cheek joke? if you are making even a reasonable order, I would be very surprised if you couldnt get your stuff at mouser or digikey and pay for parts AND international shipping for less than it costs for just the parts here at Farnell. if your order is over $200 the shipping is free from mouser and heavily discounted at digikey, at that point these would blow farnell out of the water.

I boycott them for all but emergencies due to their rude prices. the only things in their favor are they are local and have some local stock and cheap or free shipping. once you are spending even 75-100 dollars that 'free' shipping loses out to realistic pricing. some parts are 300% higher and I have come across a few that are nearly 1000% :eek:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.