Parts in Mumbai (India)

:) So Roushan , you got a luck. And thanks for updating the store information on the sheet.

A request , when ever we update the store information pl. put a one line at the end of post, that the details are updated on the sheet. that will help to remind others here, that when ever new store is discussed it should be updated.

Thanks once again, for being particular.

FM antenna

Looking for good FM antenna. Did some study on the net
about different types.

1. Yagi
2. J-pole
3. Multi-directional (round dipole)
4. Square shape (using simple wire)
5. Using flat 300Ohm cable

Does anyone know where I can get a ready made good antenna in Mumbai? I know it is a very classical/obsolate subject. I live in Colaba, so do not need a high gain one. Space outside flat is a problem, so need a small outdoor type. At present made a type
4 and is not up to the mark I want. Thinking of making one but not have much time.

Thanks
Roushon

Last edited:
Looking for good FM antenna. Did some study on the net
about different types.

1. Yagi
2. J-pole
3. Multi-directional (round dipole)
4. Square shape (using simple wire)
5. Using flat 300Ohm cable

Does anyone know where I can get a ready made good antenna in Mumbai? I know it is a very classical/obsolate subject. I live in Colaba, so do not need a high gain one. Space outside flat is a problem, so need a small outdoor type. At present made a type
4 and is not up to the mark I want. Thinking of making one but not have much time.

Thanks
Roushon

Active FM antenna are available for car radios. pretty good. I have heard the difference at the remote place where the FM signals are very weak. you can try it. Also it would be hidden inside your flat. I think those should be available with Car accessories shops.

The size is small something like 30cm x 2 cm.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where you get 100pF dipped mica caps ( 500V) in Mumbai or Bangalore ? Any idea what they cost ?

I was never able to get 100pF SM at anything above 50V locally, so I switched to importing Wima FKP2 stacked film/foil, which is available (sometimes on EBay) at 400, 630, 800 and 1000 V DC ratings and tolerances down to 1%. These are way superior to any SM in almost any audio application.

However, if you want a few 100pF/50V/5% dipped SM (probably Saha or CDE, I forgot which one) and can pick them up at B'lore or Chennai, PM/email me.

You can check at Majestic in Chennai for SM, but I seem to remember that he no longer has any stock.

Active FM antenna are available for car radios. pretty good. I have heard the difference at the remote place where the FM signals are very weak. you can try it. Also it would be hidden inside your flat. I think those should be available with Car accessories shops.

The size is small something like 30cm x 2 cm.

That is also a good idea. I will try.
Thank you.

Regards
Roushon

Silver mica will add a metallic glitter (somebody worded it here very nicely)to the audio if used anywhere in audio. Even if u use a 1nf across the supplies, u can hear its adverse effect. The natural softness of sound goes away.

I had this effect on my amp and I was not understanding what was happening. As soon as I read about it, I removed all the SMs.

Gajanan Phadte

Silver mica will add a metallic glitter (somebody worded it here very nicely)to the audio if used anywhere in audio. Even if u use a 1nf across the supplies, u can hear its adverse effect. The natural softness of sound goes away.

I had this effect on my amp and I was not understanding what was happening. As soon as I read about it, I removed all the SMs.

Gajanan Phadte

even i am looking for some sm caps. what did you replace them with. where in bangalore/online can i get such caps without importing.

i am also looking for some transformers and dc filter chokes, whats the best/cheapest source for these currently.

The silver micas were my addition to the electrolytics, but all the other wimw 0.1mcf were installed. So I just removed them. In audio, the best r the metallized polypropylene, and r difficult to get locally.

I find the best place to get hold of some is to go to a scrapyard. Pick anything that has MKP and MKT on it.

If nothing, use polyester/film.

Gajanan Phadte

... the best r the metallized polypropylene, and r difficult to get locally.

I find the best place to get hold of some is to go to a scrapyard. Pick anything that has MKP and MKT on it.

MKP is metallized polypropylene, but MKT is metallized polyester - only slightly better than ceramic in linearity.

Polyphenylene Sulphide film caps are almost as good as polystyrene (the best), and much smaller. These are Panasonic ECH-S/ECH-U, Evox SMR, Wima MKI/FKI. Only the Panasonics seem to be available occasionally.