Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2013, 09:30 AM   #531
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
where can I find a good soldering station in Mumbai.
Once you find the correct shop in Lamington Road as suggested by Gajanan please take a little trouble to post the full details of the shop. This will be of great help in the future to anybody like you.

Thanks
Roushon.
Old 11th April 2013, 10:12 AM   #532
diyAudio Member

Has anybody bought stuff from alibaba express

http://http://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-HAKKO-936-Soldering-Station-Electric-S-220v-soldering-Irons-with-ceramic-heating-element-HAKKO-936/547452203.html

should I buy this
Old 11th April 2013, 11:17 AM   #533
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushon View Post
I was just reading some few back pages and was happy that people also discuss about parts and their availability. But noticed these discussions are pointed towards persons who are aware of the local market and names of the retailers.

My request to all the posters that whenever you mention the name of a particular retailer please give full details, like full name, full address and phone numbers and then you can continue your discussions.

In case you are only interested in discussion then please open a new thread with the correct thread name, that will give more exposer to your subject and at the same time protect the purpose of this thread.

Thanks and regards
Roushon.
May I add , Pls update the sheet too.
Old 12th April 2013, 05:16 AM   #534
diyAudio Member

I need to order Panasonic FM series 1000uF 50v
capacitor from Elements 14-kits-n-spares (Mft. part
no.EEUFM1H102, Elements14 part no. 1219484)) .

Shopping.kitsnspares.com

Up to 49 the cost is Rs 107/- and from 50-99 it is Rs 73/-.
A drastic drop. I need about 20 to 25 pieces. If any of you
need, kindly let me know then we can order a large
amount. Shipping cost of a lot of 50 caps is Rs 300/- and
then a separate shipping cost will be from me to you.

Thanks
Roushon
Old 15th April 2013, 06:01 AM   #535
diyAudio Member

Well then, I will have to order it for myself only. Actually, I plan to
order many other values of Panasonic caps as well, in
case, someone is interested in bulk order.

Thanks
Roushon.
Old 16th April 2013, 07:37 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
I'd be vary about sinking too much cash into average-quality electrolytics like the Panasonic FM, with its magnetic leads and aqueous electrolyte - they're really computer/industrial grade low-ESR caps, rather than audiophile grade (of which there are very few: Rubycon Black Gates, Elna Silmic/Cerafine/Tonerex/Starget/Duorex, Panasonic Pureism/Takeh, Nichicon Muse (over half dozen in the series), Sanyo OSCON, Nippon Chemicon AWF and a few others. All of these have non-magnetic leads and construction.

A simple test is this: If the leads are ferromagnetic, they're not good enough for demanding audio, but may still be OK for high-current bypass and decoupling applications. There are a zillion commodity electrolytics that fall into this category, including inexpensive Nichicon P-series, Nippon Chemicon K-series, and Rubycon Y- and Z-series. In fact, nothing beats a Rubycon ZL or ZLH if you're willing to live with magnetic leads.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:21 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkj View Post
.... Can you explain why BNC is required?

vkj
SPDIF is 75 ohms terminated. Everything in the chain from the chip output to the reciever input must have a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. EVEN the connectors. IF this does not happen you get reflections. If your system can tolerate ordinary RCA sockets and plugs and you cannot hear any problems due to jitter in your system then you can just stick to that . There is always an ideal goal. But you can often get away with imperfections in your system. If your ear is happy , that's all that matters.

I tried to write a longer explanation on this but it took too much time just to get part way. So I googled and found a write up by Steve Nugent which explains it very well. Read it.
spdif

Cheers.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:04 AM   #538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
I'd be vary about sinking too much cash into average-quality electrolytics like the Panasonic FM, with its magnetic leads and aqueous electrolyte - they're really computer/industrial grade low-ESR caps, rather than audiophile grade (of which there are very few: Rubycon Black Gates, Elna Silmic/Cerafine/Tonerex/Starget/Duorex, Panasonic Pureism/Takeh, Nichicon Muse (over half dozen in the series), Sanyo OSCON, Nippon Chemicon AWF and a few others. All of these have non-magnetic leads and construction.

A simple test is this: If the leads are ferromagnetic, they're not good enough for demanding audio, but may still be OK for high-current bypass and decoupling applications. There are a zillion commodity electrolytics that fall into this category, including inexpensive Nichicon P-series, Nippon Chemicon K-series, and Rubycon Y- and Z-series. In fact, nothing beats a Rubycon ZL or ZLH if you're willing to live with magnetic leads.
Thanks for the info. But I read otherwise on the net and in many other threads here....everybody points me to Blackgate, Panasonic FM and Elna Silmic II. Of which first one is either not available or costs a fortune and the last one is suggested for signal paths. I needed something for power supply which is just after BG. Will search for Rubycon ZL or ZLH as you say. Could you tell me where can I find them (physical shop) genuine in India? Please do not say search in Lamington Road. Something
specific.

Regards
Roushon.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:21 AM   #539
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

^^I bought a hundred each of 100uF FM and a few values of FC about 6 years ago. I can testify that the FM is not great in signal coupling application in series path. However it is *very* good as a decoupling cap and does not require paralleling of low-value caps in audio applications most of the time. Also, when used as a Ci cap it has an interesting sonic signature, very different from the regular audiophile caps (and I have used plenty).

I agree though that investing in 100 of them may not be such a fantastic idea unless you're certain you will be using at least half that number over the next few years.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:53 AM   #540
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
^^I bought a hundred each of 100uF FM and a few values of FC about 6 years ago. I can testify that the FM is not great in signal coupling application in series path. However it is *very* good as a decoupling cap and does not require paralleling of low-value caps in audio applications most of the time. Also, when used as a Ci cap it has an interesting sonic signature, very different from the regular audiophile caps (and I have used plenty).

I agree though that investing in 100 of them may not be such a fantastic idea unless you're certain you will be using at least half that number over the next few years.
Thanks for the kind information from your own experience. I did plan to order 50 of them (1000uF 50v)
and use them in my whole system (amp, players, preamp etc etc). Just was searching for the other caps suggested by Linuxguru, they are far more expensive and I do not read about them much, do not know why?

Regards
Roushon.

Hide this!Advertise here!