Parts in Mumbai (India) - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 06:08 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkj View Post
Making a PCB at home saves a lot of time and running around.
Just a random idea, not sure if it will work. Just coat the laminate with either CRC Acryform or the peelable liquid rubber solder-mask. Use an exacto knife to carefully cut and peel off the sections to be exposed to etchant. Touch up the Cu land areas as necessary. After drying, etch it as usual. Remove the remaining peelable solder-mask on the Cu land areas, and drill the through holes.

This should be OK for single-sided, one-off designs.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:47 AM   #492
vkj is offline vkj  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
Just a random idea, not sure if it will work. Just coat the laminate with either CRC Acryform or the peelable liquid rubber solder-mask. Use an exacto knife to carefully cut and peel off the sections to be exposed to etchant. Touch up the Cu land areas as necessary. After drying, etch it as usual. Remove the remaining peelable solder-mask on the Cu land areas, and drill the through holes.

This should be OK for single-sided, one-off designs.
Linuxguru,

Sigh. . I wish I could wield an exacto knife that well. These days I find soldering even a thruhole component a challenge. Reminds me of the old days of enamel paint and a zero brush bought from Relaince. I look back at my handiwork of those days and marvel at my dexterity .

Seriously tho, I have set up a good system for making PCBs using (a) my cheap Epson printer, and photopaper for printing, (b) Lith film to make a negative (c) Using the film to expose a board (coated with photo resist) to UV and developing (d) etching. The process takes a couple of days (for the PR to dry), and now Ive ironed out most of the kinks. Double sided isnt a major problem. If you have vias, you have to wire them using left over resistor leads, being careful not to have them under comps that render this impossible. To be on the safe side I dont use very thin wires, esp. these days when the CCs are of dubious quality, but you can easily go down to 8-10 mil. All the materials for the above are available in the BVK Iyengar Rd vicinity. The cost per board is peanuts. Probably well under Rs 100. Time spent neglible compared to that spent doing the routing and artwork. You do need the luxury of a dark room tho.

It would be great if there was a printer that could print directly on the CC. If you can have printers that print Tshirts and do 3-d printing how difficult would this be?

Digikey once sold a etch-resist pen that worked quite well. Had a very fine tip. The pens available at the local stationery store are OK for touching up, but I wouldnt trust them to sketch an entire board.

vkj
Old 30th March 2013, 08:31 AM   #493
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

It's rare that a place you've heard about turns out exactly as described, but SP Road was precisely that. Crowded, dirty, busy and noisy, but also interesting and a great place to wander. The larger road that interesects with SP was also fascinating, with blocks dedicated to computers, cameras, mobile phones, industrial equipment, metals and the like. I'll try to see a few of the cultural sites later today and tomorrow (it wouldn't be right for SP Road to typify my experience here in Bangeluru), find my way to Blossoms this afternoon and get a more nuanced perspective on this city.

Thank you for the advice and the warnings!

Regards,
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP Road Bengaluru.jpg (170.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 30th March 2013, 04:14 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Scott - Congratulations, it seems that you're brave or foolhardy or both; must be the fighting Irish/Celtic blood :-).

Anyways, enjoy your Bangalore visit. The rest of the itinerary should be a cake-walk.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:18 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention an unusual surprise over the last few weeks at S.P.Road: the early-season mangoes from the push-cart vendors. About 1 in 3 of the mangoes is a Dharmapuri Alphonso (a poor cousin of its Northern relative, the Ratnagiri Alphonso - but still exquisite), while the remaining 2 in 3 seem to be Chitoor Badamis - which are a bit of a let-down. They run about Rs.100-120/kg. The main trick to improve your odds of getting an Alphonso is to pick the smaller ones with a distinct shoulder - i.e. the shape of the fruit is a bit triangular. If they're already ripe on the cart, the bouquet of the Alphonso is also distinctive.
Old 31st March 2013, 02:13 AM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
I forgot to mention an unusual surprise over the last few weeks at S.P.Road: the early-season mangoes from the push-cart vendors. About 1 in 3 of the mangoes is a Dharmapuri Alphonso (a poor cousin of its Northern relative, the Ratnagiri Alphonso - but still exquisite), while the remaining 2 in 3 seem to be Chitoor Badamis - which are a bit of a let-down. They run about Rs.100-120/kg. The main trick to improve your odds of getting an Alphonso is to pick the smaller ones with a distinct shoulder - i.e. the shape of the fruit is a bit triangular. If they're already ripe on the cart, the bouquet of the Alphonso is also distinctive.
Hey Linixguru,

Exactly how areas of "expertise" do you have? I wish I could pick them mangoes. "Shoulder" eh? I shd keep that in mind next time, tho my fav. is the "Malgoa". Any tips for those?? You sound like my mom . I remember when she would buy them by the 100s, God rest her soul. Those were the days when Blore was Paradise!

Do you cook too? If you can cook "Bassaru", youre the best! Decades since I tasted that!

vkj
Old 31st March 2013, 03:01 AM   #497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

It's rare that a place you've heard about turns out exactly as described, but SP Road was precisely that. Crowded, dirty, busy and noisy, but also interesting and a great place to wander. The larger road that interesects with SP was also fascinating, with blocks dedicated to computers, cameras, mobile phones, industrial equipment, metals and the like. I'll try to see a few of the cultural sites later today and tomorrow (it wouldn't be right for SP Road to typify my experience here in Bangeluru), find my way to Blossoms this afternoon and get a more nuanced perspective on this city.

Thank you for the advice and the warnings!

Regards,
Scott
Scott,

Congratulations on your "rite of passage". . Im sure you would have found that shopping via Digikey/Mouser/Allied is a far saner way to go, as LinuxGuru had suggested. In fact Ive found that computer parts/accessories are cheaper via mailorder (eg. Flipkart) even in Bangalore. If you are in the market for older-generation electronics components then certainly its far cheaper in SP road.

The biggest USP IMHO is the easy availability of industrial hardware and accessories. As you mentioned you can pick up all kinds of sheet metal, wire and rods, In retail quantities. Also any kind of chem. you want. No questions asked. This would be almost impossible in the US.

Sunday is the best day to sightsee since the traffic isnt as maddening, and since this is a long weekend, more so. These days most shops in the shopping discrict of MG road and Commercial Street are open. Not sure abt Blossoms, but Higginbothams on MG road is open Sundays. A short distance away is Commercial St. The best thing abt this place is that you can pick up pirated DVD movies for a few pennies. These are, it appears, obtained from the Russian Mafia , and they are of decent quality, not camera copies. Someone has taken a lot of trouble to add sub-titles and print covers complete with reviews of the movie! The shops name is Visual World, and its inside a shopping complex on Kamaraj Rd (aka Cavalary Rd) at its intersection with Commercial St on the right. Its inside a shopping complex. There are others too, further down Kamraj Rd, on the right in a shopping complex called "Commercail Plaza".

There is a park nearby, Cubbon Park. Inviting as it may seem, keep away. At the very least you will be accosted by various "fortune tellers".

Have fun!

vkj
Old 31st March 2013, 04:22 AM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkj View Post
...tho my fav. is the "Malgoa". Any tips for those?? ... Those were the days when Blore was Paradise!
...If you can cook "Bassaru", youre the best!
Malgoa is generally always pretty good - the best ones have an earthy bouquet near the stalk when ripe. Nearly identical in flavour and colour, but even sweeter, smoother and buttery, is Himampasand, which is available right now at horrendous prices at Maha Bazaar outlets. I planted two saplings about 7-8 years ago in Chennai, and have been rewarded with lush green leaves - but not a single fruit in sight!

My favourite local variety is Mallika - it keeps forever at room temperature, and has a flavour comparable to or even better than the classic Alphonsos.

The best bang-for-the-buck is Banganapalli/Benishan at Rs.25-30/kg at peak harvest, and almost all taste pretty good. Late-season Rumani is also a good deal when bought by weight - it has very thin skin and a small seed, so the edible portion is maximized.

Incidentally, about 20 years ago, there used to be a seasonal wholesale mango market at Palace grounds. There were literally 100s of varieties on display and sale. I bought the huge Enugu Daata (Elephant's Tooth) at 1 kg per fruit there, it had good texture and body, but average flavour compared to a Banganapalli.

Nowadays, there's a retail mango fair at Lalbagh, later in the season.

I leave cooking to the professionals - I haven't heard of Bassaru, but I'm guessing it's some kind of thick Rasam. I quite enjoy the thick Tomato Saru, though that is probably commonplace.
Old 31st March 2013, 08:40 AM   #499
diyAudio Member

Pics of a Dharmapuri Alphonso (about median-sized at 250 gms) from a push-cart vendor at S.P. Road, and an upgraded Marantz CD4000 I-V converter section with my LF03 discrete opamp, premium electrolytics and film caps. The yellow 390pF/630V axial styroflex in the foreground is a somewhat atypical NOS tube-era premium cap occasionally available at S.P.Road - this one was in a lot with a 1983 date-code, so it's about 30 years old. All the components in the LF03 discrete opamp were sourced locally, including the Japanese TO-92s and the Philips 2222 plate-type 2%-tolerance P100 ceramics - very nice-sounding for the price, if you can find them.

The Rubycon Black Gate STD and the low-profile Cerafine in the CD-4000 I-V stage are imports (not available locally, AFAIK), but there are some usable alternatives like Panasonics FC/FJ and Elna RE3/RJ4/RJJ/RJH which are sometimes available locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alphonso2_7x9.jpg (97.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg cd4000_10_10x7.jpg (125.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 31st March 2013, 08:51 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

Pics of a Dharmapuri Alphonso (about median-sized at 250 gms) from a push-cart vendor at S.P. Road, and an upgraded Marantz CD4000 I-V converter section with my LF03 discrete opamp, premium electrolytics and film caps. The yellow 390pF/630V axial styroflex in the foreground is a somewhat atypical NOS tube-era premium cap occasionally available at S.P.Road - this one was in a lot with a 1983 date-code, so it's about 30 years old. All the components in the LF03 discrete opamp were sourced locally, including the Japanese TO-92s and the Philips 2222 plate-type 2%-tolerance P100 ceramics - very nice-sounding for the price, if you can find them.

The Rubycon Black Gate STD and the low-profile Cerafine in the CD-4000 I-V stage are imports (not available locally, AFAIK), but there are some usable alternatives like Panasonics FC/FJ and Elna RE3/RJ4/RJJ/RJH which are sometimes available locally.

Hide this!Advertise here!