Parts in Mumbai (India) - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 04:26 AM   #461
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium2000 View Post
Gala Electronics Lamington rd makes pcbs ...
accepts layout printed on a trace paper
single sided :40ps/sq cm
double sided:1.2Rs/sq cm
delivery time: 10days

address : 20, Kalpana Building, 1st Floor,357, Opposite Lamington Police Station, Lamington Road, Mumbai - 400007
Tel: 2386 3549 / 2385 4510

attached dx blame es & detex 900d pcbs made by them
Thank you very much for the information. But wandering how much micron is the copper on the board. I remember getting some PCB done from Visha and I could never touch a solder joint second time with the iron, the copper invariably came out with the solder.

Regards
Roushon
Old 7th February 2013, 08:28 PM   #462
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I will travel for the first time to Chennai on business at the end of March. The day after I arrive will be my "recovery" day, during which my handlers will probably leave me alone (for the rest of the trip, a very nice team of people will convey / accompany me everywhere I need to go). My handlers will undoubtedly take me to cultural sites whenever we aren't working, so I'd like to use that first day as an audio shopping opportunity if at all possible.

Are there parts stores in Chennai? I can buy almost everything I need from my home in the US, but if there's a place to buy high quality, low-cost or hard-to-find parts in Chennai, I'd love to go shopping. If not, what would you recommend a sleep-deprived American do on his own?

Regards,
Scott
Old 8th February 2013, 03:53 AM   #463
diyAudio Member

I know nothing about Audio shops in Chennai. But undoubtedly, if you are looking for genuine and high quality products you have to pay much more than what you pay in the USA. Because these high quality products are not made in India and hence imported, so the price includes shipping and (high) custom. For example whenever we import from the US we pay at least 30% more.

Edit: May be some of us will ask you to bring some parts from the US ...it is like when I was going to Greece for a conference I asked the same question in this forum to people from Greece....

Enjoy your stay in Chennai....

Regards
Roushon.

Last edited by Roushon; 8th February 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:07 AM   #464
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Miracle Transformers is based in Chennai [edit: not so, clarification below], they will be quite reasonable in pricing and if you are travelling, you can save a bit on freight. Maybe pre-order the units, and pick them when you're here?

Also, Eminence (except the USA version) and Beyma speakers are far cheaper in India than US, both the distributors are in Chennai. These are obviously all very heavy and you must freight them yourself - so baggage is an issue.

Plus, I do know Chennai is home to many audiophiles (not on this forum) and you may be able to spend some time listening to some really good setups. I am sure someone will be along and make you an offer.

Last edited by sangram; 8th February 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:25 AM   #465
gopib is offline gopib  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
Miracle Transformers is based in China,
I thought Miracle transformers was based out of Bangalore, Karnataka..unless this is a different one..see Home | Speaker Transformer | Medical Isolation Transformers | SMPS Power Transformers manufacturers...
Old 8th February 2013, 05:32 AM   #466
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

^^I meant Chennai, and that was a mistake obviously.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:58 AM   #467
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Folks:

I will travel for the first time to Chennai on business at the end of March. The day after I arrive will be my "recovery" day, during which my handlers will probably leave me alone (for the rest of the trip, a very nice team of people will convey / accompany me everywhere I need to go). My handlers will undoubtedly take me to cultural sites whenever we aren't working, so I'd like to use that first day as an audio shopping opportunity if at all possible.

Are there parts stores in Chennai? I can buy almost everything I need from my home in the US, but if there's a place to buy high quality, low-cost or hard-to-find parts in Chennai, I'd love to go shopping. If not, what would you recommend a sleep-deprived American do on his own?

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott, you are welcome to Bangalore. Only a short flight. Listen to some very good system, both by those on this forum and others.

Regards,
Old 8th February 2013, 07:05 AM   #468
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Are there parts stores in Chennai? I can buy almost everything I need from my home in the US, but if there's a place to buy high quality, low-cost or hard-to-find parts in Chennai...
There are parts stores in Chennai, where you may get a few legacy parts - usually Japanese metal-can transistors from the 80s-90s, a few Allen Bradley carbon-comp resistors, and some odds and ends like silver mica and polystyrene caps. No tubes, except maybe some locally-made TV receiver glass-can stuff from the '80s.

IMHO, all of these are available on EBay at competitive prices, which can help avoid the inconvenience of trying to locate stuff at Ritchie Street in Chennai, which is usually very crowded and moderately filthy, even by Indian standards. It's OK for an old hand who can jump puddles and negotiate piles of garbage, but there is some risk for an outsider (no crime, but mainly the risk of catching some respiratory disease or slipping/falling in garbage).

With that not-so-pleasant description out of the way, there is always the possibility of finding some classic equipment in the bylanes off Riytchie Street. Most of this is high-quality e-waste from Singapore, so you can often lay your hands on a Marantz CD-63 or a Technics SL-series turntable or other classic gear for reasonable prices. Note that most of the stuff is as-is, so there may be missing functionality or scratches. Most of the stuff is fixable with some elbow grease.

My best find was a mint Technics SA-TX50 receiver for about the equivalent of USD 250, not dirt cheap, but very reasonable for desirable classic gear.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:53 AM   #469
diyAudio Member

Miracles transformers is based in Bangalore. I've bought several transformers from them.

Chennai has another 'torroid' transformer maker. Not as good as Miracle from appearance point of view !
Old 8th February 2013, 11:47 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

In case you are willing to meet audiophiles in Chennai, then they are in the forum hifivision.com. There are really great people out there...

Roushon

Hide this!Advertise here!