Parts in Mumbai (India)

I had this strange experience. I was looking for polypropylene capacitor in Lamington
Road Mumbai. I got a reference from one shop that Apex electronics in one of the lane
has such capacitors. Apex said it can be made only in bulk order and it is not
available usually as these are very expensive capacitors. So I looked for some more time
and then gave up being too tired of hopping around shops on that road. Finally looked for
in the internet and ordered from Futurlec. It took about a month and I got the caps. Happy!
Only day before yesterday I searched the net with the cap number (AC-X2) which I got
from Futurlec and surprised to find that these were available in Visha Electronics. I went
to Visha at least twice before, they always said they DO NOT have polypropylene caps.
They do not even know what they have. Then yesterday the moment I said AC-X2 they
said yes yes we have.

What do we do????

So my request to all fellow DIYers from India/Mumbai that we maintain this thread for
this purpose of posting names/addresses of shops where we can find certain parts.
Or for any such strange stories.

I start:

AC-X2 (polypropylene) capacitors (less than or equal to 1uF): Visha electronics, Lamington Road.
They take online order also. Online Shopping in Mumbai

Regards
Roushon.

Last edited:
Polypropylene caps higher value

Polypropylene caps (higher value, I looked for 24uF for a crossover): Precious Electronics,
Proctor Road, near Grant Road station, Mumbai.

But they do not retail. In fact they are very discouraging to retail customers. I purchased
some metal film resistors from them, but I had to take 100pieces each.

Last edited:
Toroidal transformer

Toroidal transformers:

1. Chandratronics, Sopariwala House, Chunam Lane, Lamington Road,
Mumbai, Ph. 23841322. Very unimpressive shop and slow delivery, but at least local and
do not have to pay courier charge to get from other city.

2. Radio Electric Pvt Ltd., 394/C, Lamington Chambers, Dr. Bhadkamkar Road, Mumbai.
Very good but takes only order of big toroidals. Torroidal Transformers

Last edited:
Good Job Roushon,

this is invaluable information. The member 'Tcpip' had also done a thread like this a few years ago. one of the most intimidating things for a new Diy'er is to hunt down obscure parts in Lamington rd.

i have found a source of polycarbonate capacitors in one of the lanes. i think the shop is called Apex elec but am not sure. it is in the lane after the Visha building and on the right as you are going down the lane. will confirm on my next trip and post.
i have also bought toroidal transformer from Thomson Transformers, which is under the bridge near Grant rd. station (E). However the secondary windings were mis-labelled and caused me a fair amount of grief. Other than that the transformer is fine. I paid INR 3200 for a 230Vac primary - 2x18v secondaries 625VA.

Visha also has some good heatsinks (2 inch serrated fins and a 16mm base). i used these in a FirstWatt F2 build and they are more than adequate.

Matrix Electronics is a shop for hard to get transistors and IC's. friendly people and they are willing to sell small quantities. i have bought a lot of stuff from there and it has all been good. No fakes yet :) the shop is in the lane that leads to Lamington road from Grant Rd station (again, i forget the name of the lane). is it a few shops down from a well known shop called Madhu Subtronics, you can ask for directions using Madhu as a landmark

hope this helps and keep up the good work.

cheers,
mymindinside

Thanks very much

Thank you very much mymindside for your help and for posting the important informations.
Here is another source of informations I got from the net, the prices mentioned there
may be old:

Attachments

• electronics-shop-add-details.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 391
PCB making at home

Toner transfer paper: http://www.robotz.in/ , Etchtron toner transfer paper for pcb making.
(For the last few days I am unable to open this site, may be it is down
temporarily.)

Address: Mr Gopal Patel
Indra Krupa, Opp Lalubhai Park
Near Golden Silver Appts
Subhanpura Gam, Vododara
Gujarat-390023

Marketed by: Pacific east Enterprise,
Opp Atmajyoti Ashram, Ellora Park
Subhanpura
Vadodara, Gujarat-390023
Ph. +91 265 2392537

The papers are expensive but really good, it just disintegrates in water. They
also give a pictorial tutorial of making pcb in home.

I personally found another very cheap choice of paper which works equally well: it is called
``chromo paper'', its' one side is glossy ( I think thin layer of china clay). Purchased 400
pieces A4 size in Rs 140/- in the Flora Fountain area in Mumbai ( do not remember the
name of the shop). I made lots of very high quality pcb using these papers. I get my copper
clad boards from Visha electronics which are not very good. The copper layer is very thin.
The chemicals (ferric chloride) are cheaply available in 500gm packet (Rs 70/- one year
back) in `lohar chowl' area near Crawford market, Mumbai.

If any of you know where good quality copper clad boards are available then please post
address.

Thanks
Roushon

Last edited:
Hi Roushon,

Thanks for your information.

can you tell what is the name make of your chromo paper. i am looking here locally can't able to source it at chennai. if you provide the make of your chromo paper it would be easy to find out local reseller.

Thanks
vijay

The packet came in a label-less paper wrap. I am not aware of the name make. As I said
it is one sided glossy. I do not know what more description I can give. If you say chromo
paper then a dealer will understand. I think you should go to some whole seller where
they are cutting big sheets into A4 size, they will know. Or if I go to that area again
I will bring some more details.

Roushon.

Well Guys,
I tried all types of pcb etching ways i found on INTERNET, so much of money spent on it, Trying to get the perfect track , But none of them was successful.

Toner transfer method is useful but not successful always. getting right type of paper is difficult, Even if you do ,purchase lot of it for future use. Then the right quality of laser print, oh god these cyber cafes never use original cartridges and then ironing .

But the best way i found is by photo resist film. It is wonderful.

No breaking sweat over improper tracks. I have etched many pcbs using this method, Even hairline tracks can be had with this method.

All it takes is 30 minutes and you have your pcb ready,

i dont know abt any dealers, But i know one professional pcb manufacturer, And got my 70 micron single side copper layer pcb from him, very high quality. Went with the sizes i wanted and got it cut from him, If many are interested i can ask him for whole sheet and get it cut accordingly.

Well Guys,
I tried all types of pcb etching ways i found on INTERNET, so much of money spent on it, Trying to get the perfect track , But none of them was successful.

Toner transfer method is useful but not successful always. getting right type of paper is difficult, Even if you do ,purchase lot of it for future use. Then the right quality of laser print, oh god these cyber cafes never use original cartridges and then ironing .

But the best way i found is by photo resist film. It is wonderful.

No breaking sweat over improper tracks. I have etched many pcbs using this method, Even hairline tracks can be had with this method.

All it takes is 30 minutes and you have your pcb ready,

Thanks for the information. Every method of etching pcb is perfect as
long as we know the source of the raw materials and have the skill. So kindly
post the address (phone number) where the `photo resist films' are available
in Mumbai (India), that will be real help for anybody who would like to try.

Regards
Roushon.

i dont know abt any dealers, But i know one professional pcb manufacturer, And got my 70 micron single side copper layer pcb from him, very high quality. Went with the sizes i wanted and got it cut from him, If many are interested i can ask him for whole sheet and get it cut accordingly.

I am willing to purchase two single sided and two double sided copper clad
board of size 1 foot x 1 foot each . More in the future. All for personal hobby
use.

Thanks
Roushon.

Although, I am just reader this moment. I must thank you for such a great information.I have subscribed this thread.

Thank you very much for subscribing. Please also contribute whenever and
whatever bit of information you have. Even if you feel it is negligible but
it could be valuable for somebody else.

I am a hobbyist for more than 20 years. I know it is a real pain when one plans
on something and get hold of no (good) spare parts. Now I am in mid career
and have enough money to import and so I do. But this is not correct. I
know things are available in India, but we do not know where.

Regards
Roushon.

Last edited:
Yes of course we can make good diy pcb's if all the needed material is available , But not all are able to to get that. And to say how many times you might have tried to master it.

Toner transfer method needs a lot of trial and error , which even i have tried.
It was time when i searched desperately for the perfect glossy paper, then the best laser print, then perfect ironing to transfer, and to say i have wasted lots of paper many prints and cleaned pcbs repeatedly truing to get a good track.

But photoresist film is used in professional manufacturing. It gives the perfect track you can dream abt.

I am telling this for many diyers who are still running for all the pieces to fall in one place, as i have done before.

About photoresist film , it is not available at any outlet or store in India.
It is imported by professional manufacturers for their use, and to say none of them would share even a sq.inch of it.

i got mine from a friend who is setteled in china, And has export business to India. I got a small quantity as sample.

But if i do ever need it again i will have to purchase a whole roll.
We can get it if we do a group buy.

And for ref my pcbs etched by photo resist method

Attachments

• Pcb.jpg
    Pcb.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 520
Thank you very much for subscribing. Please also contribute whenever and
whatever bit of information you have. Even if you feel it is negligible but
it could be valuable for somebody else.

I am a hobbyist for more than 20 years. I know it is a real pain when one plans
on something and get hold of no (good) spare parts. Now I am in mid career
and have enough money to import and so I do. But this is not correct. I
know things are available in India, but we do not know where.

Regards
Roushon.

very rightly said.

there is a thread more. much alike. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/28068-india-chassis-knobs-pcb-makers.html

also I am currently located @ pune but did my schooling from mumbai. I have lot of trouble here. trust me, here big shops too dont have good inventery of components. still all shopkeepers here go and buy from mumbai. I am also intrested in building database of component suplier from pune.

I was looking for a good quality pot and preferably resistive plastic. for long lasting. or some good brands like alps or broun. but nothing available here.

if you can also post some addresses of supplier who can courier components.
I got such one battery dealer. he caters all kind of small battery needs and rates are good too.

Dont worry I am here with you.

"......About photoresist film , it is not available at any outlet or store in India.
It is imported by professional manufacturers for their use, and to say none of them would share even a sq.inch of it......."

Visit a shop selling screen printing material. They have photo sensitive sheets and also a liquid that can be applied on pcb's. Expose it to UV light or direct sunlight and develop it in a darkroom and you should get good results.
You will need to make a negative or positive as the case might be , on lith film that he would also have. Ask them for details or search the Net. I've used that long ago but don't remember details. The photo sensitive film was called 5 Star film and was red in colour. I can't really remember what I did with it but it wasn't for pcb's.
Try to Google it.
Cheers.

Edit. I'll check it out one of these days. The shops I went to are still there.

Last edited: