Parts in Mumbai (India)

Wrong!!

So the whole thing is going to cost you $40 + $6.88 = $46.88

Right?

No! There is a way out...Fedex is notorious both expensive and unreliable..purchased
before from US directly and Fedex brought my Fostex driver and they (or the custom)
just destroyed the driver...learned a lesson in a very hard way....I reveal my secret
here for anybody who would like to import from the US...try iccworld.com `shop abroad'...
importing through them for the last several years...you tell them what you want to
purchase they will send you a quote including everything (shipping, custom Vat etc etc)...
deliver withing 7 to 10 days...custom will not touch the product as everything prepaid...
got an iccworld online quote for two of the motorized pots from Mouser...home delivered total
price less than Rs 1800/-...payment to iccworld.com is by (national or international) credit card and in Rs...

If a bulk number of the pot is ordered through iccworld it will be even cheaper...

Roushon.

Last edited:
No! There is a way out...Fedex is notorious both expensive and unreliable..purchased
before from US directly and Fedex brought my Fostex driver and they (or the custom)
just destroyed the driver...learned a lesson in a very hard way....I reveal my secret
here for anybody who would like to import from the US...try iccworld.com `shop abroad'...
importing through them for the last several years...you tell them what you want to
purchase they will send you a quote including everything (shipping, custom Vat etc etc)...
deliver withing 7 to 10 days...custom will not touch the product as everything prepaid...
got an iccworld online quote for two of the motorized pots from Mouser...home delivered total
price less than Rs 1800/-...payment to iccworld.com is by (national or international) credit card and in Rs...

If a bulk number of the pot is ordered through iccworld it will be even cheaper...

Roushon.

Thanks Roushan, Thats would be very helpful to us.

Roushan,
sorry to hear about your experience importing the driver.

I bought a pair of Klipsch RB81 II and a shaving machine from Ebay global easy buy.The Merker shaving machine could not be destroyed in any way. I was lucky the Klipsch reached me in proper shape even after the thermocol supports of one were in pieces.

Read http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/34228-chalta-hai.html
Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Hi Gajanan,
Just had a look at the site you mentioned, will contribute
in the future, I have got many things to say...regarding this Fedex
courier story I did make extensive blogging in the hifivision forum.
Here is another issue: RS component sent the product (Pot)
for delivery even after my multiple requests to cancel, I rejected the
delivery siting the name of the head of the sales what I was asked
to do by her....lets see what next....just read their terms...RS
components is NOT for individuals like me. It is a business-to-business
setup. I may have to pay some fine for not respecting COD...do not
know..will inform here as it comes....

Roushon

Roushan, did you send it back? call them... tell them.... keep the record in written....

May be they have excuse that you should have confirmed before you order... dont know...

But check this dosent harm much to you.. BTW check how much the charge is. else its good to buy it, also there is a chance that the product that was delivered are motorised pots.

Thanks Aucosticraft for your concern. I did exactly what the head of sales of RS asked me
to do. She told me on the phone that as the listing was incorrect she will make sure
that the order gets canceled once it goes back to them. I have mail from them saying
that the pot is not motorized although the description indicates otherwise. I did send an
email this morning reminding her about it...lets see what happens next....

Regards
Roushon.

I understand what you mean Masood, but this forum is for people who are addicted to this hobby...money comes later...sometimes I am also surprised and ask myself `why am I
doing this...' but find no answer...an addiction is an addiction...I tried to run away from it...
but it did not work....see what is written below diyaudio above...

Roushon.

Indian businessmen want to survive only on bluffing and nobody reads what is written in the book and everybody is inherently knowledgeable.

Yes, it is a costly hobby only because our development has been zero in this field, and we have to pay according to the western living costs.
Only for the craze of this hobby, I bought two speakers that cost me as much as a good two wheeler.

We cannot even buy a driver with T/S parameters specified, made locally.

Chalta Hai

Gajanan Phadte

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Not much we can do about the postal service in India I'm afraid.

This is a painful fact. Good product if not available in India we import it, but
as soon as the product reaches India, there is absolutely no guarantee what
will happen to it...one Fostex driver was destroyed by Fedex (or the custom)
and another Fostex driver was desroyed by Foreign post office in India (or
again by custom)....at the moment I am fighting with RS components India
regarding incorrect description of a product in their website....it is all for
love...

Roushon

Joined 2002
Paid Member
For some of my builds I've taken to Ebay.

If you're OK with paying about 1000 for shipping across a bunch of orders totalling about 20-25k, it's a pretty good deal.

The only question is parts quality, and I'm happy to inform you that there are few issues with some of the better sellers. The key is to not look at the lowest price or highest reputation, but the inventory. A seller who depends almost exclusively on small-ticket sales will be playing on the fringes, those that have large, high quality and rare parts inventory can be trusted for most common requirements.

Recently I have purchased Holco resistors, Nichicon Muse caps, chips and PCBs for chipamps, cases, R-core transformers (both expensive but well worth the money), stepped attenuator parts, connectors etc.

In some cases you have to buy more than you need for a project - but the fun of DIY is that you keep building so the parts end up being used at some point.