Parts in Mumbai (India)

yes I agree with Ashok, try to use rotatory encoders and circuit to control them. using motor driven pots are turning yesteryears story. these days rotatory encoders are replacing .

Roushan you reminded me of chor bazzar, I use to visit this place every friday when I was a student. I still remember over 200 gramaphone disks in brand new conditions were bought by me from chor bazzar (bhendi bazzar) for just 5Rs each.

I was the time when electronic ballast for florescent tube were newly introduced in indian market. The cost was really very high. I bought them at 10 rs each repaired them and used them at my home.

Roushon,
Usually motorised volume controls are not very easy to turn. You will find it rather stiff compared to non motorised controls. Digitally encoded volume controls are also fairly easy to turn.....

That is a very good point Ashok! Thanks! I will check. I have no idea about digital volume control or digitally encoded one (may be both of them are same)
or how they work. Will have a study about them on the net...

Regards
Roushon.

yes I agree with Ashok, try to use rotatory encoders and circuit to control them. using motor driven pots are turning yesteryears story. these days rotatory encoders are replacing .

Roushan you reminded me of chor bazzar, I use to visit this place every friday when I was a student. I still remember over 200 gramaphone disks in brand new conditions were bought by me from chor bazzar (bhendi bazzar) for just 5Rs each.

I was the time when electronic ballast for florescent tube were newly introduced in indian market. The cost was really very high. I bought them at 10 rs each repaired them and used them at my home.

Need to study about rotary encoder, do not know about it as it is always
for me...was never a student in electronics...

You must be very lucky Aucosticraft! Although I am in Mumbai for over 21
years, did not (still do not) have time to pursue my hobby well. Came to know chor
bazaar very very late...thanks to diyaudio.com I could start my hobby without
knowing the subject or people with similar interest personally...

Yesterday got four Vinyls: Guide, best of Mukesh, Geet Gata Chal and
Prem Rog in Rs 350/-. One of them turned out to be scratched severely...

Regards
Roushon.

Last edited:
Remember to contact the seller before buying and ask for registered mail. That way it's recorded delivery and a very good chance it cannot get 'lost'. The price of the Pot is better than buying it in the open market !
You might be asked to pay a small amount extra for registered mail unless the seller ships everything by registered mail. Don't just rely on 'free shipping' !

A couple of DVD's were shipped to me by 'normal' mail and they never reached me even after 2 months ! I even paid for shipping !.So take some precautions !

I wouldn't be too sure about the LED on the motorised pot's control knob. I have three amplifiers of different brands with motorised pots and no LED on them. But they do have a start and stop position unlike digital encoders.

Today modern switched volume controls on a chip are supposedly very good. Also used on many high end products. You'd have to do an A/B comparison to see if you can hear any degradation. I don't see too many complaints about them now. Their channel trackability is impeccable. However implementation does take a lot of extra parts.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the discussion. At present I have a 64 stage stepped (log)
attenuator controlling the amp. The main problem is the `transition noise'. It
is like tik, tik,...,TAK, tik...:) The TAK (31 to 32) is a bit too much, I need to
mute the amp while crossing this stage. This is the only reason why I need the
motorized volume pot. As I understand the IC based analogue volume controls
are a miniature version of the stepped attenuator, so the transition noise
(although minimized) will be there I think, specially when it is connected to a
high power amp.

I found a pot in the ebay and contacted the seller regarding registered post,
it is just USD 2 more, so I can order that if find no other source.

Thanks and regards
Roushon

This is not the RK27 used by most people here. However it should be just fine. The track is probably smaller than the RK27 and tracking between channels must be less accurate. But it is used very widely by large manufacturers and I haven't seen problems due to channel imbalance in them in actual use.