Is this tube suitable for audio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2010, 04:25 AM   #1
domm123 is offline domm123  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Is this tube suitable for audio?

Hi all,

I have built several solid state amp before, and I am still new to Tubes amp.

I am think of building a tube amp, possibly YAHA or something similar.

I search ebay for 6922 tubes and came across this tube:
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/2-x-6N1P-VI-E...Electronics_R2

They are cheap!! Just wonder if this tubes will suite my needs?

Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 04:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good tubes.
Old 31st August 2010, 04:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

These are a medium-mu twin triode with a 9AJ basing, maximum plate voltage of 130V (kinda low), cathode current of 25mA, plate dissipation of 1.8 watts. Similar to a 12au7 except for the low plate voltage.

Dave
Old 31st August 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for the responses!

Hmm... 130v plate voltage? this one advertise as max 250v... btw, can i know the max voltage stated on the vacuum datasheet is RMS volatge or Peak volatge?

And how do i determine whether a 6n1p tube is good enough for audio?

Ok, so i decided to start on this project, the voltage between the plate is about 22v, so it should be safe right?.. Can i know is there anything i need to change in the circuit to swap out the 6922 for 6n1p?

Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 10:17 AM   #5
piano3 is offline piano3  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

These tubes with the "VI" suffix are for pulse radar. You may be better going for "EV" suffix type which are commonly sold on ebay. I suggest you ask member Wavebourne if the pulse varient is fine-he is an expert on these things.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano3 View Post
These tubes with the "VI" suffix are for pulse radar. You may be better going for "EV" suffix type which are commonly sold on ebay. I suggest you ask member Wavebourne if the pulse varient is fine-he is an expert on these things.

Hmm... what do you mean by pulse radar?... seems like "VI" and "EV" are quite close, just that "EV" have longer life, less microphonic.. etc...
http://www.4tubes.com/DATASHEETS/SCANS-Original/!1Numbers-0--10/6n1p-all-versions.pdf

Last edited by domm123; 31st August 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 31st August 2010, 07:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I should have specified, specs I gave were from a datasheet for a 6DJ8, not a 6N1P.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domm123 View Post
Hmm... what do you mean by pulse radar?... seems like "VI" and "EV" are quite close, just that "EV" have longer life, less microphonic.. etc...
http://www.4tubes.com/DATASHEETS/SCANS-Original/!1Numbers-0--10/6n1p-all-versions.pdf
Tubes designed for pulse operation; well, it is what you probably think it might mean; they are designed to operate with short high current pulses rather than a relatively steady current. I think that most of the differences are in the cathode construction/chemistry. Damper diodes are an example of this and are very suitable for audio use if you do not mind the inconvenience of using 2 rather than a single double rectifier and the inevitably high heater current. The famous 6N30P is another. When the Russians use the suffix "I" then this is what they are referring to. "E" means longer life and "V" means robust mechanical construction. I am sure,as one always finds, that it is impossible to generalise; it is said that 6E5P-I is inferior to regular 6E5P for audio purposes but about 6N1P-VI I do not know; I have neither used it myself nor have I heard anything about it. That is why I suggested you contact member Wavebourne. He will know immediately.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh, and by the way, 6N1P in general is a very highly regarded tube.

Hide this!Advertise here!