Elna Silmic II or Elna Cerafine? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 06:13 PM   #61
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
Only goes to show that there is no ' best capacitor', and we need to acknowledge that different people have peculiar tastes (all my respects to Lou).
+1
Old 29th May 2013, 07:26 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Same here buddy!
In all the various circuits i've worked with, the same capacitor can change dramatically.

When the Elna Silmic II exceeds, they exceed very very well.
But when used for circuits such as the ones to power sub-woofers, they just sound slouchy, flat, and loose in bass impact.

To be real honest, i actually prefer Nichicon KZ over Silmic II's and think they're one of the most balanced sounding capacitor out there.
I only use Elna's in places that i think they would excel in, and 60% of they time they do, the other 40% i end up replacing them with Nichicon KZ.
Black Gates are good, but I for one, think that it only "truly" sounds because you realize how much you've spent on a freaking capacitor, and ends up clouding your judgement.

Now when i buy capacitors, i just search for the highest ripple, lowest leakage, and longest lifespan i could find, this is however, for the power supply areas only.
As for anything in the signal, if room isn't an issue i try to go for pure silver leaded large polypropylene film caps, however if space is small or if it's an electrolytic, just get something with oxygen free copper leads for lower distortion.
Only negative here is that you'll likely have to recap them in a year or two as their lifespan isn't as good as the capacitors that are used for power rails, but hey, it's no biggy if you use a high end solder sucker. It's opening the chassis that is a PITA.

Last edited by ArtemisCables; 29th May 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:56 AM   #63
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

It is like different people appreciate different food...
Old 29th August 2013, 02:53 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushon View Post
Thanks! Yes, elements14 and RS have Indian websites with
pricing in INR, but prices are unimaginable, especially because the already high price further combines custom duty and other import expenses...

Regards
Roushon
Dude If you are looking for Silmic 2 in India contact to 09963067390 you can get 100uf/35v and 1uf/50v
Old 29th August 2013, 03:14 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

I called a friend of mine he loved the change with silmics but I hate it its removal of details. Considering the cap value might be high I tried even 1uf in series with 1uf at decoupling stage but I felt its good but still its too much for my taste. Some people like this kind of change for Bass being enhanced and rounded. All together I feel its for the people who has very harshy system and hate highs much will love these. Finally its all in the matter of taste. But but but believe me or not the naturalness of timbre in instruments is absolutely outstanding and you will never believe its your system doing it. Now im behind how to get back the details preserving this magic happening. Did anybody tried KG mixed with silmics? Please if anybody has this combination of KG with silmics please do try this and post the feed back ... Just use both in parallel and please tell us how things have changed...
Old 29th August 2013, 06:18 AM   #66
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
Dude If you are looking for Silmic 2 in India contact to 09963067390 you can get 100uf/35v and 1uf/50v
You are from which part of the world? I do need these caps. What is the price and where it is
available?

Roushon.
Old 29th August 2013, 06:44 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

They are available in Hyderabad India
Old 29th August 2013, 07:08 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

They even handle lm3886 and opa549 amp kits the best place in India you can get kits man

Last edited by rhythmsandy; 29th August 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:13 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Default Late to the party, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Agree 100% about Nichicon KZ.

Cerafines... I've never found them harsh or dull - crisp & clean and neutral. Silmics blur fine detail and transients, to my ears at least. Soft, and rather boring.

Fascinating how we all hear different attributes... Or more likely how the caps work in different circuits.

John.
My experience with both Elna's is this:

Cerafines can sound "hard and edgy" at first, but after only a few hours (5 or 10 even), they calm down. Still, they'll never be known for their warmth.

A number of other people here have said that Silmics sound "slow" or "blur detail." I can only imagine that perhaps they weren't run long enough.
Silmics, after qbout 80-100 hours to burn in, present the most natural mid-to-high range of any 'lytic (to my ear). That said, they still don't have as tight a bass as the Cerafines (or Nichicon KG).

Those of you brave enough (or curious enough) can try these combinations, if you have the space to do so. They are the result of many hours of experimentation.

Signal path - Nichicon KG (at next-lower-value from suggested) plus Silmic at 20% of that value in parallel.
Leave piece on for 5 days straight. You'll might be amazed.
Need more "air"? Put a Vishay MKP1837 (10-47nF polyprop) in parallel.

Cathode bypass - Nichicon S6 are really good Kbypass caps for the (dirt cheap) money . So are Parts Express' 100V "non-polar crossover capacitors."
Want better? Try a Rubycon TWL bypassed with a small Paper-In-Oil.

Power supply -
Low voltage (<20V): Nichicon S6 (or HT) series
Mid voltage (20-100V): Nichicon HE + small-value Paper-In-Oil
High-voltage: Nichicon KX (or BHC Aerovox) + Solen PBB "Fastcap" @ 5-10% of value

I don't claim to be a "capacitor guru" of any kind - I've just found that, unless I'm specifically trying to "tailor" the sonic response of something (i.e. it's pretty neutral to begin with), these combinations tend to work well.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:54 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
...Did anybody tried KG mixed with silmics? Please if anybody has this combination of KG with silmics please do try this and post the feed back ... Just use both in parallel and please tell us how things have changed...
See above.
I use the KG Type-II mostly. They're close to Type-III 'Super-Through's in quality, but less expensive, and noticeably better than Type-I's. (Actually, KS series are better than Type-I's ― both in detail and smoothness ― and more compact as well).

Last edited by digitrax; 27th September 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!