Elna Silmic II or Elna Cerafine? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 02:31 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I saw the website where Silmic II was rated highest, above black gate etc I bought quite a few. They are very dull sounding, don't like them at all.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:07 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hi fragchamp,

can you please post the link of that website, since I am curious as to what set-up they used. I know for a fact that some electrolytes sound better than others and have observed though, that it all comes down to the actual design most of the times.

For example, if it is a low voltage headphone amp, it is better to use a lower voltage rating, closer to the maximum voltage that you are likely to see, since some electro's are just average and also the same stands true for some other types too.

For too long, since 2001 actually when I got back in to hobby electronics, I found people "sw.??in" by so & so brand, and make or type etc, but then noticed a trend, that some types were always ahead for some designs, or excelled better at mid's & high's, while others were better at bass and mid's. I really got annoyed though in '07 when my pc's hdd threw a fit and karked it and lost all my data :-( I had actually just started adding to my file back then, if I remember correctly about Tantalum caps, that everyone use to ignore and look down on, but then the "Ruskie" and "U.S. Mil std" starting cropping up and at reasonable prices and some were "wet" tantalum, I did not get to finish my conclusions on them :-( Some things I read was that they were "harsh" but good for "heavy metal" style music, and that tried the "wet" ones liked them, and that they were as good as some electro's, but after the hdd failure, I lost all encouragement to start from scratch and I also did not have many of the cap's either.

A nice example is POI, nice for the higher voltages, average on lower. Some of the OsCons (Sanyo's) were great if you were using the 6.3v with a 5v supply. Nichicon Muse FX were excellent general all-rounders, polysterine were good when you paralled with some other caps.

As for the Silmic II, I never got to try them, besides, I think they are newer anyway :-)

Anyway, those are my 2
Old 8th September 2012, 10:11 AM   #33
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragchamp View Post
I saw the website where Silmic II was rated highest, above black gate etc I bought quite a few. They are very dull sounding, don't like them at all.
I dislike them too - it's a mystery to me why so many like them. Everywhere I've used them the sound has lost fine detail, and 'bite'. A sort of air-brushed presentation to the music. Lack of musical involvement. Far prefer the Cerafine caps, particularly the current versions.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:58 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
I dislike them too - it's a mystery to me why so many like them. Everywhere I've used them the sound has lost fine detail, and 'bite'. A sort of air-brushed presentation to the music. Lack of musical involvement. Far prefer the Cerafine caps, particularly the current versions.
yeah me too the silmics took away the details did u compare cerafine with nichicon KZ?

overall i feel silmics fit at place you play at high volumes like use your full 100w rms amp potential you find it better...

but i was not happy with that super rounded sound...

i really have no idea why nelson recommend it.. it might be subjective but why will one love loosing details? or high frequency dynamics...
Old 27th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #35
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
yeah me too the silmics took away the details did u compare cerafine with nichicon KZ?

overall i feel silmics fit at place you play at high volumes like use your full 100w rms amp potential you find it better...

but i was not happy with that super rounded sound...

i really have no idea why nelson recommend it.. it might be subjective but why will one love loosing details? or high frequency dynamics...
Agree with everything you say. Have used Nichicon KZ and I think they're very good indeed - very good 'organic' sounding midrange quality. They're my second favourite electrolytic (if one has no choice but to use an electrolytic) for signal path use. However I love the current production (black jacket version, from hi-fi collective) Cerafine, and I actually find these preferable to Black Gate N now. No ridiculous 'burning in' time either.

I must get around to trying a pair of cerafines back to back to make a non-polar capacitor. Might be better again

John.

Last edited by johnm; 27th February 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:37 PM   #36
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Deleted

My mistake.

Last edited by data; 3rd March 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 18th May 2013, 05:52 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

hi all
my question : whats elna star gate?

thanks.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:29 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Strange, i prefer Silmics more than Cerafine.
Cerafine sounds harsh and dull whereas Silmics have better overall presentation and timbre.

Nichicon KZ and Panasonic Pureism are both good capacitors too.
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:14 AM   #39
Roushon is offline Roushon  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
To get fresh caps, buy from an authorized vendor and pay full price. Stale caps come from resellers, surplus houses, e-bay, craigslist, etc. Authorized distributors will put a flag next to the part indicating a "sale" if the part is old. As I said, it is electrolytics that get old fast. Ceramic and film don't age much. If ceramic is cpo dielectric, use only for the purposes listed above. z5u dielectric is marginally acceptable for interstage coupling or rolloff filtering, but John Curl doesn't like even that use. Hours aren't real important on ceramic and film dielectric caps used in audio, the datasheet spec on film and ceramic are usually talking about radio transmission or some heavy current use. Expected life means a lot on electrolytic caps.
I am also in the process of replacing electrolytic capacitors in my whole music system (amp, preamp, players etc.) . Already purchased some caps from Ebay but after reading your post, it seems it was not a wise decision. Not being a professional in this area, am a hobbyist who does electronics when in personal need, wandering about the caps available in partsconnexion.com. Are they fresh out of factory or
old? And what about Elements14? All that I need to know
is the explicit names of some vendors selling fresh
electrolytic.

Thanks and regards
Roushon.
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:20 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Parts Connexion has reliable parts.
Shelf life is pretty good for capacitors so no need to over-worry.

Not a very good idea to buy "boutique" capacitors on ebay as many sellers are from China which gives you a higher chance of obtaining fakes.

I bought Elna's from ebay before and received fakes.

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!