How do you determine the brightness of an LED?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the specs VAOL-5MSBY2 VCC Standard LED - Through Hole

The LED will be used as a power indicator on the front panel.
My power source will be 24V. I don't know how much mA I should use as this will help me determine what resistor I should use. 20mA is 1500 mcd right? So that's probably 75 mcd/mA. I don't have anything to reference it to. How bright is 1500 mcd, 1000 mcd, 500 mcd, etc. @ 60 degrees? I don't want it to be blinding when looking directly into it nor do I want it to be too dim under medium to high ambient light conditions.

That's the calc I used as well, however I will not run it at 20mA; too bright and will have a shorter lifespan. In order to decrease mcd, I will need to decrease mA by increasing resistance, which is what I'm getting at.

If I wanted 750 mcd as opposed to 1500 mcd, then I would get 2.2 Kohms @ 1/2W. The problem is, how bright is 750 mcd? I can't find any references online.

This is one thing where "learning is doing," where I mean you have to use trial and error. I found that with as little as 5mA the LEDs were still very bright. Try a low voltage source like a 9V battery, use the same equation and do 3-5-10 mA to see what you like. Then use the same mA for your final install. Or just experiment with your final install in the first place using a variable resistor or something. What is stopping you from this- no LED or resistors? Just planning right now and have no parts?

With 24VAC you have to be careful about power dissipation, might need a 1/2 W resistor- but you are all over that issue.

This is one thing where "learning is doing," where I mean you have to use trial and error. I found that with as little as 5mA the LEDs were still very bright. Try a low voltage source like a 9V battery, use the same equation and do 3-5-10 mA to see what you like. Then use the same mA for your final install. Or just experiment with your final install in the first place using a variable resistor or something. What is stopping you from this- no LED or resistors? Just planning right now and have no parts?

With 24VAC you have to be careful about power dissipation, might need a 1/2 W resistor- but you are all over that issue.

Weird. I asked my dad if 20mA is bright and blinding (if looked directly into it). He said not at all. This is a 3.5V diffused LED. I'm guessing the ones you were using were the clear type?

I'm ordering stuff from Mouser and Digikey so I would like to have everything in one package. I would like to avoid "The Shack" as much as possible.

I use a 10k trim pot and slowly lower the resistance until it's at the brightness I want. I then measure the pot setting and replace it with a suitable resistor.

Perfect brightness every time. :bulb:

That's a great idea! The horror of ordering every resistors from The Shack just for testing purposes. Thank god trim pots were invented.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.