Do expensive filter caps REALLY make a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on my power supply. It's for a hi-quality mic preamp. The stages are all balanced, so will reject some hum/noise.

I'm looking at capacitors on-line. Some of them are SO expensive. Black Gates for example. Why are they so expensive? Why not some LCR's from Mouser? Or some of the computer grade electroclytics?

Can some of you recommend the best filter caps? I'm actually looking at non-polarized Solen caps. They seem to be mid-priced (I guess I want to stay away from anything TOO cheap).

The power supply is a VERY simple cap -> choke -> cap arrangement.

Thanks for any help!

Matt

In my opinon......
Your preamp/amp/speaker never gets better than the sum of all the components.... So if you really want to pay a huge amount of money for special caps, then you must also calculate for costs for high grade components in rest of your system.....

I proberly get a lot of "spanking" from the "Magic Cap" fans in here for this statement, but so it be...:devilr:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I would stay away from budget polypropylene and go for a choke-input filter cosisting of a choke, a paper in oil then a Black Gate then another choke or a resistor then another Black Gate. You can buy Black Gate at Soundshop Big in Japan. Very accurate service and real cheap compared to other suppliers outside Japan.
I have 9 47 microfahrad 630 volt SCR ( = Solen ) in an alumium can which have been replaced by B.G.. If you can help me next time i need to order in the States i am willing to sell in return for 9 dollars each. Yours sicerely, Ed

Hello MW Mitchell,

I am a big fan of Elna Cerafine for power supply filtering. I have (2) 22,000uf in my 30 watt per channel integrated. I will usually parallel a smaller better quality film cap or a better electro as well.

I like Sanyo Os-Con in my CD player.

I have not yet tried Black Gate, but I hope to soon.

I believe in the law of dimishing returns. If I use a cap that costs for example $10.00 and I get 90 or 95% of the performance of a $50.00 cap, I am happy.

I would rather spend my extra money on a nice Cabernet or a bottle of port.

Cheers

KevinLee

mwmitchell said:
Can some of you recommend the best filter caps? I'm actually looking at non-polarized Solen caps. They seem to be mid-priced (I guess I want to stay away from anything TOO cheap).
Matt

Matt,

When you say "filter Caps" do you mean the mains supply, or for low pass filtering (or similar)?

If you're talking about mains supply use several types of caps. For bulk power storage, electrolytics from panasonic are good. (I like the FC series). Then bypass them with some tantalium electrolytics and ceramics for higher frequency response.

For anything in the audio path... ...You may want to use COG type ceramics. the X7 and Y5 types change value with applied voltage (this is a bad thing when building a active or passive filter).

-Dan

And pls don't get me wrong; I am not questioning the validity of the above (or other) recommendations; it just happens to me too that I sometimes use a first rate component without first bothering to check for any audible difference ...
Makes me feel happy though ;)

janneman said:
I note with interest that not a single post in this thread addresses the original question in the tittle. Wow, a whole thread that is off-topic! Intriguing....

mwmitchell said:
Can some of you recommend the best filter caps?

Janneman, I would guess that this is the topic (though, no the same as the title, but not sure.

I think that the title was off topic, compared to the actual post! :)

-Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.