Comparing noise/regulation performance of voltage regulators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I would like to know how the noise and voltage regulation performance of the low drop-out LM2940/2990 series compares with the LM340/320 and L78/79 series. How would you rank the LM2940/2990, LM340/320, and L78/79 series in terms of noise and voltage regulation performance? If they are your only choices and the input voltage is adequate and not an issue to be considered, which series would be your best choice?

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Seems like no one wants to answer my question. :(

Anyway, I have another question: What does the dropout voltage spec of a LDO regulator mean and how does it relate to the minimum input voltage of the regulator? For example, the LM2940 5V regulator has a dropout voltage of 0.5V at 1A and a minimum input voltage of 6.5V. I would like to understand how these parameters relate to each other. Can someone please explain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.