Elna Cerafine Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't purchase any, I tend to do a lot of window shopping...:rolleyes:. Its better for the marriage...:D

I just know some items are no longer in production, so I figure, what the heck. Post it and if it is a good buy, great, if not then oh well.

Cheers
Brian

I thought the Cerafines were long out of production.

My experience of any Electrolytic is that age makes them stale - even if they measure alright, the sound is better when a new one is used.

I bought a pair of Cerafine 50+50u/500V, and a pair of 100u/100V a few years ago. One 500V type failed (dead short) after 2 or 3K hours, and the same happened to one 100/100V even sooner. the other 100/100V vented recently. All used WELL within all ratings, including ripple current.

They sound OK, but these days the Ampohm or other Audio MKP sound better for most positions, and don't suffer the same reliability problems.

Welborne labs has a few types of Elena Cerafine caps on sale. I'm not sure is anyone needs any or if they are a great deal, but here is the link.
Enjoy
Brian
Hi, Brian

These capacitors are not so rare, such as big voltage Elna Cerafine 550v.
They are hard to find even in Japan (But I can boast that I have found them for my Level Five Amp :yes:).

For small voltage applications I prefer to use Elna Silmic II caps, those have superior acoustic characteristics provided by specially developed silk fiber, and are intended exactly for audio.

Welborne labs offers not a wide range of Elna caps such as HifiCollective shop.

ROA series: Elna Cerafines ROA Electrolytics - Hifi Collective
Silmic & Silmic II series: Elna Silmic RFS Electrolytics - Hifi Collective

Kind Regards, Konstantin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.