Switching gears: headphones --> speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've thought a lot about it recently and I don't see myself going too much further into portable audio. This has prompted me to make my first post here. Currently I have the following:

120G 6G iPod --> Mini3 --> DIY Canare Int. --> Nuforce NE-7Ms

Before my last semester of school this fall I will be getting a pair of RE0s and possibly a better amp. Also before school I want to build an AMB Gamma2 DAC (with Gamma1 Full++) just so I never have to buy another DAC. **cough**. This would be for my desk speakers and home listening.

What I want to do after that is upgrade my speakers. Right now I've got a pretty flexible setup of two systems. The first is a 2.1 Creative setup ($35-$40 retail maybe?). It has recessed mids and adjustable subwoofer volume. The second system is a 2.0 Sony bookshelf stereo set ($130 retail maybe). It has hearty mids.

Cost of 2.1 Creatives: $12 (thank you slickdeals.net)
Cost of 2.0 Sonys: FREE (thank you high school class grad party)

I really like how adjustable this setup is. I have a Y-splitter leading from my laptop to these systems. I can essentially EQ my music manually by adjusting bass, mids, and treble individually. A well-balanced sound is easy to achieve. Is this type of setup common? I really like DIY electronics and my dad has a full woodwork shop in his basement (which he knows how to use) so I figure speakers should be my next project. I just need advise as to which plans to go with. Size doesn't really matter, power should be under 100W (I think).

I enjoy detail, neutral frequency response, transparency, and some adjustability (whether it be changing out resistors and capacitors, or turning a dial). To give you an idea of what sound signature I like, I really enjoyed listening to the HD 1400s (very airy and lively), the K702s (similar qualities, needs a teeny tiny bit more bass), and the HD 650s (a bit too muffled). I'm sorry if you've never heard these, I haven't heard nice speakers.

My budget is roughly $300. Any ideas?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.