What kind of driver comes with 4 wires?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the class-D section:

And this is the box with the bolted trafo inside.

(Aaaaand the JS of the forum prevents the links from opening.. ugh. )

I also have a speaker that needs 4 wires. Mine is an electromagnetic or "energised" type and lives in my early '30s HMV radiogram. It is a massively built beast that has a bracket mounted to the base of the cabinet for extra support. To look at it you would guess it must handle at least 200 watts but the amplifier actually puts out just 2 watts :rofl:

I also have a speaker that needs 4 wires. Mine is an electromagnetic or "energised" type and lives in my early '30s HMV radiogram. It is a massively built beast that has a bracket mounted to the base of the cabinet for extra support. To look at it you would guess it must handle at least 200 watts but the amplifier actually puts out just 2 watts :rofl:

In the US they were called "Electrodynamic Speakers". The speaker's electromagnetic was also a filter choke in the DC power supply. As a kid, I disconnected the speaker with the receiver still turned on. 400V DC got my attention!

I tried to include a photo of the energised speaker but was having extension problems with Photobucket. Have now resolved this by changing browsers:
hmvspeaker.jpg

being an old high efficiency speaker, I suspect the signal input power should be <50W and possibly <20W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.