New Wood Chassis from Hammond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which "one" are you refering to? A Hammond or a Kerby?

The hammond.

I was really super happy with what I saw at first glance. Beautiful Walnut, finished great. Corners cut perfectly, and a geat design. Then I noticed one of the side boards was rabited crooked, giving it a tapered appearence when veiwed from above, and causing a 1/8" gap between the wood, and top plate on one end, and meeting snuggly at the other end. Looks like a return may be a PITA. I still need 2 more, but now i'm unsure. Am I unlucky, or will it be more of the same?

Last edited:
Then I noticed one of the side boards was rabited crooked, giving it a tapered appearence when veiwed from above, and causing a 1/8" gap between the wood, and top plate on one end, and meeting snuggly at the other end.

So it seems Hammonds wood working skills aren't much better than mine :)

You should try exchanging it and see if maybe you just got a defective one. Take one for the team.

Hammond has always been very responsive with replacing noisy transformers (twice), so I see no reason they won't replace bad wood working. Just send them an email, explain the problem, and I bet they send you a new one. They never required me to send the bad ones back.

I wonder who I email? I sent an email to Hammonds US sales several days ago with no response.

Well, I guess i'm going to give these cases a big thumbs down!

I contacted Hammond, and was told that these were not precision items, and that his display sample had the same issues, and he believed all other units would be defective. He offered to swap my defective unit with the defective unit he had if I returned mine. As for a different case, they were out of stock indefinitely. No offer of a refund, just more defective stuff.

Nice.

Here's what I have decided to to do instead. I'm going to toss this thing in the trash, and never buy another Hammond product. Very expensive lesson learned.

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I'm going to toss this thing in the trash, and never buy another Hammond product. Very expensive lesson learned.

I feel your pain, TubeMac.

But, don't just throw it in the trash. Take good photos of it, especially the defect; include a good description of the defect, and sell it on eBay as an auction (not Buy It Now). Someone may just want it anyway and its true value will be reflected in their bid(s).

Just a thought.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.