how did i break my secondary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its supposed to be 18V from orange to yellow, but its measuring like 10. brown and red are working ok -they say 20.2.

last night i had orange and red hooked together and being my 0V. brown and yellow going to the ACs of the rectifier chip thing. twas working. there's a 1A fuse on the mains. shouldn't it blow up before i hurt my transformer?

i HATE LAQUER!
icon8.gif

That has to be the funniest thread ever....
Sorry, but the

"i HATE LAQUER!"

comment is just too funny, I can imagine you after 5 hours trying to get it off, sitting furious on your pc, and going to diyaudio.com to type this, not even caring about your capslock.

Well, lacquer is to be hated at times. However, without it, transformers wouldn't survive for long. :)

How long was this setup working before it fried? Did you check the rectifier to see if it shorted? Also, did you have a cap in backwards on the PSU??? What's the voltage of the caps used?

It seems like something worked barely for a while and then broke down thus shorting the transformer...

hahahahaha. You really are having a bad time with that lacquer aren't you???

Yes, you have to be scrupulous about removing the lacquer for a good connection. I usually will spend a good 20 minutes preparing a transformer's leads before installation in a new amplifier. If I'm working on a transformer with more than 20 leads, I might spend over an hour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.