Electret Mic, Quick & Dirty for PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2010, 03:58 AM   #1
tommy_o is offline tommy_o  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Electret Mic, Quick & Dirty for PC

Hello there,

I'm trying to throw together a workable PC mic for skype and the like. I picked up a Radioshack mic element to put together, but need some advice on a simple circuit to use. The only lead I have is this one, but wanted to ask advice before I put it together. Does this circuit seem appropriate for my application?

Thanks everyone.
Old 21st June 2010, 02:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Your soundcard already has the required polarization voltage on its microphone input. You need to do little more than solder two wires and a jack. On the mike, one of the leads is connected to the case. That is gonna go to jack ground. The other lead connects to the tip of the jack. Preferably use a mono jack if your soundcard has a stereo microphone input, so it detects it as such instead of playing the mike in the left channel only. That's all really.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:22 AM   #3
tommy_o is offline tommy_o  United States
diyAudio Member

The first mic I put together from a salvaged element worked easily with just two wires and a jack, but this Radioshack element didn't. When connected, I could record audio but it was so quiet that I could not reasonably amplify it with software to regular listening levels even for Skype calls. Oh well, I'll put together a proper one in the coming weeks. Thank you though.

Hide this!Advertise here!