Replacements for polyethylene capacitors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacements for polyethylene capacitors?

I'm in the process of ordering parts to work on a Pioneer SX-82. In addition to Mylars, micas, and stirols, the MPX section has some 'polyethylene' capacitors, which no one seems to sell or make anymore. What would be a suitable replacement type? Ceramics? Polyesters? Some other type?

Also, in the event of an exact value not being available, should I go to the next higher or lower in capacitance?

Last edited by Rod Beauvex; 14th June 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I seriously doubt the capacitors are actually polyethylene- it's FAR too thermally wimpy for that service. They were probably polyester (polyethylene terephthalate).
Old 14th June 2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

There is a nice one, cheap but biggie, called K75-10 its paper and polyethylene terephthalate, Russian made. Green and big, if it fits, its very high value for money IMHO. You can chase it on Ebay.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The service manual refers to them as polyethelyne. Oddly, it refers to Mylars as mMylar, the trade name, (which I was under the impression that Mylar was polyester)

Edit: Misread your post, SY.

Salas, thanks for the tip, but I'm after new production components only.

Last edited by Rod Beauvex; 14th June 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:44 AM   #5
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Mylar is a Dupont trademark for polyester film. Just polyethylene are the shopping plastic bags.
Old 14th June 2010, 02:09 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The service manual refers to them as polyethelyne.
The service manual might be mistaken- it's pretty common, since polymers are not part of the EE curriculum.:

Mylar is the trademark for Dupont polyethylene terephthalate (PET). If a cap is made from any other brand, it can't be called Mylar, even if it's chemically the same. So if the caps came from two different manufacturers...

Hide this!Advertise here!