What is the correct Black Gate value to use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2003, 05:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dom letor
Question What is the correct Black Gate value to use?

Hello, I'm pretty new to this idea of modifying speaker crossovers but I don't know which caps I should use. I heard Black Gates are pretty good but they don't make the exact values that my crossovers use. I have a stock 10uF 100V cap and a 8uF 100V cap (I'd have to buy 4 for biwire), but the only Black Gate AC that comes close to this is a 10uF 50V. Would it be possible to use this cap without any problems? Should I try non-AC BG caps to make this fit?

Thanks
Old 21st June 2003, 01:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It shouldn't be a problem using that cap (I guess you mean lower voltage), as the AC Non-Polar caps for speakers are made only in 50V . The other one that comes close to 8u is 6.8u from BG. It also depends where the caps are located in a crossovers. Sometimes slightly different value doesn't affect response that much, sometimes it does.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st June 2003, 02:39 PM   #3
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What is the correct Black Gate value to use?

Quote:
Originally posted by dom letor
Hello, I'm pretty new to this idea of modifying speaker crossovers but I don't know which caps I should use. I heard Black Gates are pretty good but they don't make the exact values that my crossovers use. I have a stock 10uF 100V cap and a 8uF 100V cap (I'd have to buy 4 for biwire), but the only Black Gate AC that comes close to this is a 10uF 50V. Would it be possible to use this cap without any problems? Should I try non-AC BG caps to make this fit?

Thanks
I would forget about black gates and buy some crescendos from your neighbors at northcreek. Remember that you want matched components for both sides otherwise the stereo image is out the window. Usually electrolytic type capacitor have very loose tolerances. If you want to hear bass and midrange like you never heard before buy the 8 gauge inductor for the woofer side.
Everytime I turn on my stereo I am amazed by what these guys can do.
Old 21st June 2003, 02:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I bought some Multicaps RTX from a forum member who replaced them with BG. Although I never tried BG in speaker's crossover.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th July 2003, 06:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dom letor
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks you guys. The AC BG caps work fine, my speakers sound fuller, more dynamic. Sorry for my long delay I just installed them today.

Hide this!Advertise here!