What is the correct Black Gate value to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm pretty new to this idea of modifying speaker crossovers but I don't know which caps I should use. I heard Black Gates are pretty good but they don't make the exact values that my crossovers use. I have a stock 10uF 100V cap and a 8uF 100V cap (I'd have to buy 4 for biwire), but the only Black Gate AC that comes close to this is a 10uF 50V. Would it be possible to use this cap without any problems? Should I try non-AC BG caps to make this fit?

Thanks

It shouldn't be a problem using that cap (I guess you mean lower voltage), as the AC Non-Polar caps for speakers are made only in 50V . The other one that comes close to 8u is 6.8u from BG. It also depends where the caps are located in a crossovers. Sometimes slightly different value doesn't affect response that much, sometimes it does.

dom letor said:
Hello, I'm pretty new to this idea of modifying speaker crossovers but I don't know which caps I should use. I heard Black Gates are pretty good but they don't make the exact values that my crossovers use. I have a stock 10uF 100V cap and a 8uF 100V cap (I'd have to buy 4 for biwire), but the only Black Gate AC that comes close to this is a 10uF 50V. Would it be possible to use this cap without any problems? Should I try non-AC BG caps to make this fit?

Thanks

I would forget about black gates and buy some crescendos from your neighbors at northcreek. Remember that you want matched components for both sides otherwise the stereo image is out the window. Usually electrolytic type capacitor have very loose tolerances. If you want to hear bass and midrange like you never heard before buy the 8 gauge inductor for the woofer side.
Everytime I turn on my stereo I am amazed by what these guys can do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.