Sanken 2SA1216 2SC2922, Genuine and Fake pictures

Neither of those are any damn good. ISC is known to make very poor copies of Sanken LAPT transistors. They do NOT properly duplicate the innards of the MT-200 case, and the dies are smaller. Not 2N3055 smaller, but not a 200 watt die either. They likely hold up better than outright fakes, but don’t expect miracles from them.

The one on the right is an outright fake. It is marked with the Toshiba logo (not Sanken) and Toshiba never made the MT-200 case. It is Sanken proprietary. Toshiba (and others) made a footprint compatible TB-34 case, but it it more like a regular TO-264 that mounts sideways with two holes. Back in the day when Toshiba made the TB-34, they used the old logo and NOT the one in your pic (which is what they use today).
let me dig through my archives a bit but it looks like I have some toshiba big chips (from the 90s) still in their original packaging somewhere. not sure for MT200 but very close

2sa1095 and 2sc2565
1650703678390.png

These are used a lot in the more expensive high quality receivers and amps, also on high power amplifiers.

Al where damn good sounding.

But is er no way to get a list of suppliers who are trust-able? And put them here in a special tread. Maybe
that to help others also, even then it can be fakes get sold but less risk, good for the suppliers themselves
also getting name clean, good for selling...

let me dig through my archives a bit but it looks like I have some toshiba big chips (from the 90s) still in their original packaging somewhere. not sure for MT200 but very close
Yeah - your POD in 83 matches the Tosh device in my pic - and not the one in Tief’s. I know mine are real because they are pulls (from equipment where one channel still worked). I bought loads of those old 1095/2565 from MCM back in the day. They were quite rugged and not even ridiculously expensive so I often used them as upgrades for similar-cased units like that NEC (Which is nothing special). When they were in current production you could get real ones. Not now. I only have a handful left, unfortunately so they are going nowhere except into receivers that we’re designed with them.

Btw - it’s not called an MT200, it’s a TB-34. TB-34 is industry standard, MT200 Sanken proprietary. It fits the same hole, that’s all.

Reactions: 1 user
Don`t want to open a new thread and as this is about SANKEN, hope it`s okay asking...

Anyone know where to buy (not fake...) SANKEN 2SA1186 / 2SC2837 (preferable with "Y" grade Hfe suffix)?

I would buy them from one of the known distributors ... but those parts are gone everywhere. Except of course only available from the usual suspect places...

I spent hours and hours looking at hundrets of pictures to get a feel for what is, what might be and what is (probably) not fake.
Sometimes it is quite obvious to spot fakes form pictures but more often it is not. Besides this, even if it looks okay on the pictures does not always mean this is what You get eventually. And even if You get what You see and looks okay doesn`t mean that inside is what is supposed to be.

Buying electronic parts is getting increasingly tedious. It`s not just power transistors. It`s almost everything down to even 20 ct. run of the mill parts.

Price often also is not an indicator anymore. It appears the scammers learned and they will glady sell You their crap for almost what could be the real thing..

Not being an outright expert with lot`s of experience and special knowledge in this field, it is really a jungle out there...

speaking of experts, what do You guys think:
AFAIK SANKEN has the Hfe grade suffix (O, P, Y, etc.) on the right.
On the left usually is a 2-digit data-code.
As I understand it, the data-code is comprised of two numbers (though sometimes I see one number and one letter...).
In the attached picture however, at least as I see this, there are two letters.
Something wrong with this code or is this normal?

Attachments

• 2SA1186 2SC2837 New Genuine Sanken Transistors - Kopie.jpg
    2SA1186 2SC2837 New Genuine Sanken Transistors - Kopie.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 71
I would this ask there:
https://www.profusionplc.com/de/brands/sanken
phone: +49 3222 109 1464 (Germany)

Because one buy directly from Sanken there, it is guaranteed not to receive any counterfeits.
That's why I've only been ordering power BjT devices from Sanken there since a lot of years.
In contrast to before (where I often wasted my time with fakes resp. counterfeits), I no longer have any problems with replacing power transistors on amplifiers.

With regard to other manufacturers, I buy in general from suppliers who know exactly that they in turn obtain the components from the manufacturer themselves and not from somewhere else.
In this days unfortunately not always an easy task and sometimes much more expensive.