PGA2320: control issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have designed a DAC board with a PCM1794, a PGA2320 for volume control...

Anyway, here is my problem. I can't seem to make the PGA2320 work and I'm suspecting that it is due to the control of the /CS pin.

For simplification reasons, I just tied the /CS pin of the PGA2320 to ground, thinking that it would be ok because the SPI bus I'm using is only used to control this chip.

Apparently it doesn't work. Looks like the new gain settings will be effective only after /CS goes back to HIGH, which IS NOT clearly documented in the datasheet.

Anybody can confirm this please? (Now if this is the problem, I'll have to butcher my nicely made PCB to be able to control the /CS pin...:()

Thanks to anybody with experience with this chip!

Thanks.

Indeed the /CS pin goes low before sending data and back to high afterwards.

It's probably when it goes back to high that the gain settings are actually applied, but it was not clear from the datasheet. The latter just says that you can only write data when /CS is low...

Now I should have suspected something, because it says that the /MUTE pin going low when /CS is low only triggers a mute condition when /CS goes back to high. But that was not obvious. Even for the mute condition, what happens if we are sending data to the chip and put /MUTE to low? When /CS is put back to high, will the gain settings be stored or not (and applied if /MUTE goes back to high)?

I should probably ask that to TI? I have no experience asking them for technical questions, do you think someone will even answer?

Don't make CS low unless you want to send data so it's high-low-high sequesnce, otherwise, every change on the line will be considered a bit of data if you leave CS low all the time. Can you show us some code so others can help?

When PGA starts, it's muted, and only works when new word is sent to it. There might you have a problem in your code when sending data.

I was aware of that, and I'm using SPI in master mode. I'm pretty sure the SPI clock is active only when I send data to the PGA2320.

The only thing I overlooked is the clock edge on which data changes. It was configured for rising edge in the PIC, but the PGA2320 samples data on the rising edge, so that may not work. I'll try changing that before soldering an additional wire on my PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.