2sk1530, 2sj201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Toshiba appears to be obsoleting these parts -- notice from Digikey:

Obsolete Parts Notification

You have purchased the following part number(s) from Digi-Key within the last two years. The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete. Please click on the link below for more information on possible substitutes.
Manufacturer Details
TOSHIBA Description: MOSFET N-CH 200V 12A TO-3PL
Manufacturer Part Number: 2SK1530-Y(F)
Digi-Key Part Number: 2SK1530YF-ND

Thanks for the info!
I wonder why Avnet did not tell me this, I will verify this info with them tomorrow.
2SK1529/2SJ200 is already gone, now it is EOL for the big brother.
IR/Vishay has P channel problem, Fairchild discontinued FQA12P20.
What's left for good vertical Power MOSFET?

I got it too:
You have purchased the following part number(s) from Digi-Key within the last two years.
The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete.
Please click on the link below for more information on possible substitutes.

Manufacturer Details

Seems like every time I hear about a good part for audio... The above says it all :(

I got it too:
The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete.
:(

There might still be time for last buy orders.
Although such things happen all the time for good audio parts, it is shocking that while I just finished matching and start selling this pair, it is discontinued.
Anyway I think Digike severely overpriced this pair. The pair could have been more popular if it is more accessible/affordable.

So for now we still have the following good power MOSFET pair:
2SK3497/2SJ618
2SK1058/2SJ162
Any more?

Toshiba appears to be obsoleting these parts -- notice from Digikey:

Obsolete Parts Notification

You have purchased the following part number(s) from Digi-Key within the last two years. The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete. Please click on the link below for more information on possible substitutes.
Manufacturer Details

I just got the notice from DigiKey, but only for the 2sk1530. I have ordered 201's recently as well, but have not gotten a notice for them. I googled on the 1530 and looked on Toshiba America's site and did not see anything to the effect of it being discontinued. I'd love for it to be mistake. This is a terrible shame if it is happening. I don't know how many commercial amplifiers out there use the 2sk1530/2sj201 combination.

These are not only electrically very good, but the fact that they are in the larger TO-264 package gives them almost twice the metal contact area with the heat sink, significantly reducing thermal resistance through the insulator.

I hope someone will contact Toshiba directly to get the true, full story, including why, if it is true. If it is true, maybe if they get enough feedback from the audio community they will reconsider.

Let's also post the manufacturer and model of those power amplifiers that any of us know of that use these devices, particularly those that are still in manufacture.

There have been many part numbering changes over the last couple of years, many in regard to the introduction of ROHS. Sometimes parts have been discontinued, or appear to have been discontinued, because of such numbering changes. However, I think the 1530s that I got the notification on were already ROHS. Don't get me started on what an incredible waste of money the whole ROHS thing has been.

Cheers,
Bob

larger TO-264 package gives them almost twice the metal contact area with the heat sink

Yeah, that's a nice feature, though it makes self cut pads necessary.

I also find it pretty impressive that National finds in their appnote that these vertical Toshibas produce less distortion as follower than even laterals. Would be a shame to discontinue them.

I think the 1530s that I got the notification on were already ROHS

Yup, they are already compliant.

Have fun, Hannes

2sj201 and 2sk1530

I have communicated with toshiba (Jeff Lo) at the Irvine office , and have confirmed that the 2SK1530 may be disc. within a year. It is not written in stone, and may change if demand picks up. These parts have no equal, they are a good complementary pair, low gate capacitance, fast rise times, and the benefit of TO-264 case. IXYS , Fairchild , IR , and Infineon all appeared to have discontinued comp. pairs of mosfets. Those concerned should get in touch with Toshiba. Sorry, I don't have the info in front of me, but I had googled Toshiba transistors and found the Irvine office. :xfingers:

Avnet is really slow in response, so I called Toshiba Singapore.
I was told:
Their system shows that 2SK1530 is going to disc. in Jun 2011, suggest me to place last order before Dec 2010.
2SJ201 is shown as active in their system, but I'm actually doubtful of it. (2SJ200 is is confirmed to EOL by http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docget.jsp?dnum=BCE0082&type=catalog is also shown as active in the system) There is little reason to kill the N and keep the P part.
They did not say any of the "not written in stone" words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.