LEDs to replace classic Marantz lamps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2003, 02:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default LEDs to replace classic Marantz lamps?

I have an sweet old Marantz 1530 that has a number of burned out lamps.

A check of Ben Blish's site shows I can replace with some 250mA lamps from Parts Express. There are also EBay auctions with various replacements.

But now that blue LEDs are available, I'm thinking of using them with a resistor. Less draw on the PS and virtually lifetime use. I could even try different colours to see how they look. I've heard of purple LEDs so those could be a special custom look.

Opinions?

:)ensen.
Old 19th June 2003, 02:50 AM   #2
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default l.e.d's

if you use l.e.d just make it so if you wana sell it in the future.make sure you can restore it to it's original state with the right lights

i restore old audio original parts are best

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/lampkits.html
Attached Images
File Type: png 1530_2.png (27.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 19th June 2003, 10:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Karma,

Of course, I'd have to test if the connection is DC or AC since the lamps will operate either way. If DC, then I can try and make the new LED lamps to fit the fuse holders. That way, as you say, replacing with OEM parts will still be possible and the unit can be restored to original. That said, I hope to keep this thing until I can pass it on to the next descendent in the family. I inherited this one from my grandfather, just like my love for the music.

:)ensen
Old 19th June 2003, 10:44 PM   #4
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

sounds good. post some pic's when finished i may try it i have the same model. not allot of watts but wow does it have good sound
and a good tuner
Old 20th June 2003, 02:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default you can pop in white LED's

I know with my Madison Fielding tube receiver that there are little plastic crystals which transmitted the different color wavelengths. With white LED's you just plug and play, well almost, it takes a somewhat higher voltage to run a white LED than a red or green one. they turn on with a few ma, probably max out at 20 to 40ma. I use white leds in a photometer I built.

the intensity is a linear function of the current drawn, and these bulbs should be easily replicated.

Hide this!Advertise here!