Multiple Speakers with single reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a system with 4 sets of speakers, one reciever, and a controller. The main controller is on the fritz ... again. The system is about 15 years old and the components are no longer made.

The speakers, themselves are fine. They are Boze with 4 speakers and a sub-woofer.

What I'd like to do is replace the curren set-up with a simpler one, having one reciever and no controller. In order to do this, I think I'm going to need to split the output into 4 streams, and (presumably) manually turn on/off the individual outputs. I don't object to the manual part.

What can I get to split the reciever output?
Is there a different forum I put the question?
Did I mis an FAQ in my search?
Is this even possible?

If I understood correctly you want to connect 4 speakers to a single stereo receiver and switching these 4 speakers manually, such that only 2 of them are active at the same time.

Probably simplest solution is to use a rotary switch that switches 2 signals at the same time (DPDT, break before make). Connect wiper to output of receiver and throws to speaker wiring.

However, due to the involved power and voltage, isolate well and use a robust rotary switch with a reasonable voltage/current rating.

Don't forget to check this little gem with a multimeter before using it, otherwise you could destroy the receiver (by accidentially shorting its outputs).

Have fun, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.