PS Capacitor making bass disappear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I replaced the main caps in the power supply of my TEAC AL700P with huge 63v 15k uf BHC caps. The bass is soft, weak and has no impact.
How long does it take for caps to charge up? Is there a better place to use them?

The caps are used and could have been stored for a while. How long would it take to get caps back to operating optimally?

Hi,

I wonder, the capacitors you installed, are those LOW ESR capacitors ?
Also, are the capacitors old and have been stored for a couple years ?
To me your descriptions sounds that the capacitors you installed do not perform
well are are not suitable. I wonder, I would also expect that you report audible distortion at higher volume, is that the case ?

Cheers

Kay

I replaced the main caps in the power supply of my TEAC AL700P with huge 63v 15k uf BHC caps. The bass is soft, weak and has no impact.
How long does it take for caps to charge up? Is there a better place to use them?

The caps are used and could have been stored for a while. How long would it take to get caps back to operating optimally?

Hmmm. Still to me it seems these caps are no good.

How come there were used ?

Any chance these previously enjoyed caps were removed because they are no good anymore ?

Caps (used or not) do not necessarily last forever ! They tend to dry up and loose capacitance. When they do, they no longer function properly, yet they may still look nice and decent. At this point they have become pretty looking paperweights !:D

I suggest, get some brand new caps and try them, you be amazed what a properly working cap will do.

What about distortions, do you get audible degradation when cranking up the volume ?

I am assuming you are using these caps on the supply rails, correct ?

The caps on the supply rails charge rather quickly, the instance you turn on the amp, it may take a few milliseconds and they have a full charge.

You could test them, to be sure they are working. Take a cap, charge them up to a known voltage and discharge them with a known resistance, chart the discharge curve on a scope and then calculate from the TAU measurement the capacitance. It better be in what is stated on the cap, otherwise, let them head to the trash bin.

How does the bass compare to the original caps that were in this amp ?

Did you change anything else other than just these caps ?

Cheers

Kay

The caps are low ESR caps. The bass gets better after an hour of warmup but they're still not 100% there. I wonder if I have to change the smaller electrolytic caps surrounding them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.