Counterfeit 2SC2912 (and others)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Ive purchased from MCM before mostly Sanyo transistors, its the first time Ive seen a fake from them but obviously it could happen, still I would highly recommend MCM for purchasing of parts.

I have to wonder how you can say this given the number of reports of fakes from them here on the board. Fred and I have wasted a lot of time on his particular problem, it is not a minor thing IMO. Fred's driver board is probably hacked, not because of his ability, but because he had to swap parts so many times. Consider that in two separate orders he got fakes? Next he will have to waste a part that he paid for to hack open and build some confidence that the other is real. I will certainly buy first from a dealer that I trust since I don't like to waste my time and risk my projects on this sort of situation.

I welcome a solution from Mr. Minix that doesn't involve using customers for test of his inventory. Certainly there is a huge difference between we provide a quality product from the start, and we stand behind our product and will take back parts that customers determine are fake or defective.

Last edited:
Chris,

I think the funniest thing I ever came across was when I sent one of my guys out to our local supplier for some transistors we needed. I don't remember the part number but I do remember they were TO-220. My guy returned with the right part number except the transistors were in TO3 cans. Stamped right on the top was the TO-220 part number.

My supplier waved their no return policy on those ones.

Do you remember the old 70s Tigersaurus power amp kits. I couldn't get one of those to last more that an hour without blowing up. Was it a bad design or fake parts? LOL.

David.

Chris,

Do you remember the old 70s Tigersaurus power amp kits. I couldn't get one of those to last more that an hour without blowing up. Was it a bad design or fake parts? LOL.

David.

I built the Lil'Tiger when I was in 4th grade, it worked fine except into 4 ohm loads.
The Universal Tiger was bigger and more difficult I built, rebuilt and scratch built several of those. I have seen one of these work for over 20 years without too many problems.

This is a 200W/ch Tigersaurus that I scratch built - started the mechanical design
and power supply when I was 16 years old:
PLB-big_amp.jpg

A bit about it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-am-trying-new-amplifier-109.html#post2138031

A Tiger thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/41926-universal-tiger.html

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I have to wonder how you can say this given the number of reports of fakes from them here on the board. Fred and I have wasted a lot of time on his particular problem, it is not a minor thing IMO. Fred's driver board is probably hacked, not because of his ability, but because he had to swap parts so many times. Consider that in two separate orders he got fakes? Next he will have to waste a part that he paid for to hack open and build some confidence that the other is real. I will certainly buy first from a dealer that I trust since I don't like to waste my time and risk my projects on this sort of situation.

I welcome a solution from Mr. Minix that doesn't involve using customers for test of his inventory. Certainly there is a huge difference between we provide a quality product from the start, and we stand behind our product and will take back parts that customers determine are fake or defective.

Im not aware of any other complaints from MCM, I could be wrong but I think this is the first time anyone has complained about MCM and fakes in this forum. If you go over to the head fi forum, most of the guys buy from mcm too and I havent seen complaints there either. Theres been complaints from other very reputable companies too, like farnell and RS electronics, I had a major problem with the last one mentioned with this same particular transistor which I like to use as predriver in triple output stages. I had to get sanyo to send them a letter stating they were fakes before they would even believe me, the samples looked very much like the 2nd example posted in the pic. Fred got fakes on two orders because he ordered the same transistor twice in a short timeframe which would then naturally come from the same order that MCM had in stock.

From them I havent had any fakes as yet, I would be sure to complain then but they have some very hard to find and discontinued parts which you wouldnt find anywhere else and good service. Fakes are a universal industry problem not a MCM electronics sells fakes problem, it happens to all these companies.

Learn how to discern fakes visually is the only way to protect yourself, I usually ask to be sent a pic of the stock they have before I purchase especially if its a first time purchase from that company, when the company is not willing to do so I dont buy, no matter how reputable they are. Maybe I get away with it as I dont purchase 2 or 3 units at a time but in 50s or 100s or all their stock if the part is hard to come by.

Chris,

David.

The huge amp that I showed is a scratch built version of that design. Several here have commented that it is one of the few Tigers that did not blow up. Mine never failed just needs to be recapped now.

MCM 2SD424's

This the first in a series of posts showing pictures of the original Toshiba parts on my Adcom and the replacement 2SD424 I obtained from MCM.

These two are of originals in my amp. Q17 is the transistor that failed. The other picture is of a transistor on the other channel. One side of this channel was obviously rebuilt at some point by the prior owner.

Attachments

• original in amp.jpg
    original in amp.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Original Q17.jpg
    Original Q17.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 217
Here they are again, after I spudged off the white thermal (?) goo to reveal the die.

I should also repeat that the MCM part passed the IT-18 tests AND passed Vceo of 160vdc with 0 leakage. I'm not at all experienced, but I'd say this part is good.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• MCM(L)-Orig(R)-02.jpg
    MCM(L)-Orig(R)-02.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
That is it, the real version of course!

Do you still have it?

I was young at the time and didn't have the knowledge to figure out what was causing the instability. I had replaced outputs on them a few times and they would last a few months then fail again.

My friend dropped them off to me one day and asked me to hang onto them for him. They sat in my basement for a number of years. By this time I had accumulated a lot of electronic odds and ends and decided it was time to clean up and dispose of some things. Thinking my friend had lost interest in them, I sent them off to another electronics enthusiast. That's the last time I saw them.

I never thought the tigers would become a vintage commodity.

David.

This the first in a series of posts showing pictures of the original Toshiba parts on my Adcom and the replacement 2SD424 I obtained from MCM.

These two are of originals in my amp. Q17 is the transistor that failed. The other picture is of a transistor on the other channel. One side of this channel was obviously rebuilt at some point by the prior owner.

Right looks like what is currently in my Adcoms.

Left looks like what I pulled out of the Soundcraftsman - probably the older style marking.

Here they are again, after I spudged off the white thermal (?) goo to reveal the die.

I should also repeat that the MCM part passed the IT-18 tests AND passed Vceo of 160vdc with 0 leakage. I'm not at all experienced, but I'd say this part is good.

What do you guys think?

Die size and design looks just like what I have here, note that the size is about 1.5-2X what is shown for many fakes.

I'd say it is good but welcome input from others.

Does the beta code match your others?

I was young at the time and didn't have the knowledge to figure out what was causing the instability. I had replaced outputs on them a few times and they would last a few months then fail again.

My friend dropped them off to me one day and asked me to hang onto them for him. They sat in my basement for a number of years. By this time I had accumulated a lot of electronic odds and ends and decided it was time to clean up and dispose of some things. Thinking my friend had lost interest in them, I sent them off to another electronics enthusiast. That's the last time I saw them.

I never thought the tigers would become a vintage commodity.

David.

I'm not sure if others are interested but I am since I scratch built one.

Maybe you did get some fake parts - hard to say.

Die size and design looks just like what I have here, note that the size is about 1.5-2X what is shown for many fakes.

I'd say it is good but welcome input from others.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

Does the beta code match your others?

No. The originals are R. The MCM part is O. Interestingly, the parts list specifies O. At 50hfe, the MCM part does match the beta the of the others on the board very well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.