Filling up the free M&K enclosures - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2010, 04:21 PM   #31
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Make sure you seal your edges guys.

The MDF/Chipboard on these isn't the most stable material. Run a bead of woodglue along all exposed edges and rub it in with your finger. Also, make sure to coat the inside of any screw holes to stabilize the material. For this you can use superglue and chase with a screw (immediately remove) if you plan to be unscrewing/rescrewing several times, if not, woodglue works fine.

Also, if you're using the sanding drum expansion method, you may find you have a less than true hole. Specifically the "bottom" of the recess may retain a lip. Fortunately this nice soft MDF can be easily scraped away with the appropriate flat-head screwdriver. Just scrape it around a few times and you can make sure the bottom of the recess is as open as the top.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:33 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Anybody think these might be a good match for the MK boxes?

The sealed box design with a 3.65 cubic feet volume (Qtc of .707) has an f3 of 44 Hz. (incredible stereo or musical instrument sound)
Originally designed for an audiophile high-end speaker system.
Re = 6.3 ohms
Le = 1.49mH
Qm =9.70
Qe=0.44
Qt = 0.42
Xmax 4.8mm
Voice Coil Diameter 2.50 inches
Fs = 26.6 Hz
Vas = 6.68 cubic Ft
Sd = 519.45 square centimeters
Magnet weight 56 oz
Sensitivity 91dB 1W/1m
Old 9th April 2013, 01:17 AM   #33
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

You guys sugck!!

All the really neat stuff seems to always be getting given away or sold in CALIFORNIA!! Always!

Gosh those are really nice looking cabinets!!

You guys must be grinning ear to ear!!

_-_-
Old 9th April 2013, 02:15 AM   #34
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
You guys sugck!!

All the really neat stuff seems to always be getting given away or sold in CALIFORNIA!! Always!

Gosh those are really nice looking cabinets!!

You guys must be grinning ear to ear!!

_-_-
I have used them for several projects, most recently, the addition of a rearfiring 12"+horn to the "big" rig. Click the image to open in full size.

That's a JBL 2206h with my own flavor supertweeter per Building A Budget (Super?) Tweeter Reaching the stratosphere! Article By Jeff Poth

Crossover is a damped 2nd order electrical on the supertweeter, with a notch, and the midwoof wide open (the 2206h is very well behaved on the top end). Effectively it's about 3rd order at 2500.
Old 9th April 2013, 06:24 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

They are pretty, but so far pretty empty in my garage. Free boxes ended up with me buying a LOT of various drivers and related items, but haven't had time coincide with space to mess with them. I have the nagging feeling that I may have bought the wrong impedance drivers for my duo woofer subs, but soon I hope, soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!