Filling up the free M&K enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm taking my son to Howies Gameshack either today or one of the Friday's soon, so I think I may stop by Deepsurplus and get a couple of the $42 woofers they sell for the dual boxes. I bought the last small M&K plate amp that ApexJr had, and its supposed to fit the dual box, so I might actually have sound before much longer.

If you didn't already make the trip....

I believe they're out of the $42 woofers. Infinity Kappa Perfect car subs seem like a good match, as do the creative sound trio 12. I'm going to be doing a few with the trio.

I bought a pair of the 8 ohm $42 woofer, but didn't ask about larger quantity. Talking to Dave (head Hamster of Hamster audio I think, guy who built the speakers DeepSurplus sold as complete units anyway) and it "may" turn out I grabbed my push pull cabinets from the "wrong" pallet, and may have a smaller internal volume and different sized amp plate spot. Hopefully sometime later this week I will get a chance to check.

I bought a pair of the 8 ohm $42 woofer, but didn't ask about larger quantity. Talking to Dave (head Hamster of Hamster audio I think, guy who built the speakers DeepSurplus sold as complete units anyway) and it "may" turn out I grabbed my push pull cabinets from the "wrong" pallet, and may have a smaller internal volume and different sized amp plate spot. Hopefully sometime later this week I will get a chance to check.

Son of a gun.... it turns out that the half-dozen of the dual cabs I picked up were ALL the smaller size. Very disappointing as I could very much use the additional cabinet volume!!

Anyone who got some of the bigger ones and would like some smaller ones, or some of the other cabs (I have quite a few of the cherry vinyl-veneer boxes, some of the odd-angle "tubes", some of the gloss mini-enclosures, and a few other odds 'n ends) please let me know. I also have a fair number of grilles, for the larger peg-style sub cabs (they don't fit the cherry), so if anyone has these and needs grilles, let me know.

Glad I found this thread.

I picked up 4 of the bigger single-driver sub boxes and secured the drivers from Deepsurplus (not bad for the $42 price at all), but these drivers only fit on 2 of the 4 boxes :(

I need to figure out how to widen the outer radius a little bit.. That drum sand looks like a good idea. Where did you get it and for how much?

Also 3 of the 4 boxes actually have plate amp holes that fit the M+K 250 watt plate amp (which I bought from Apex Jr), but the problem is they have pre-drilled holes with metal inserts on the other side, so you can't use the screws that come with the plate amps. Using what seems like the right-size screw, some of the holes/inserts lock in good but others just spin. They may be stripped from prior use (the boxes definitely look used).

I *was* able to assemble one subwoofer with the Deepsurplus driver and M+K plate amp, and it does sound very good, nice and tight. HOWEVER, I can hear metallic rining and pinging from the plate amp as volume goes up, which I can lessen by putting my hand on the heatsink/plate. I'm thinking about just sealing the plate amp hole with some MDF and use the plate amp externally. Will need to make plate amp enclosures :(

Looks like I'm looking at some significant woodworking. Any suggestions on good woodworking shops around Zip 91784 (Upland, CA)?

I picked up 4 of the bigger single-driver sub boxes and secured the drivers from Deepsurplus (not bad for the $42 price at all), but these drivers only fit on 2 of the 4 boxes :(

I need to figure out how to widen the outer radius a little bit.. That drum sand looks like a good idea. Where did you get it and for how much?

Also 3 of the 4 boxes actually have plate amp holes that fit the M+K 250 watt plate amp (which I bought from Apex Jr), but the problem is they have pre-drilled holes with metal inserts on the other side, so you can't use the screws that come with the plate amps. Using what seems like the right-size screw, some of the holes/inserts lock in good but others just spin. They may be stripped from prior use (the boxes definitely look used).

I *was* able to assemble one subwoofer with the Deepsurplus driver and M+K plate amp, and it does sound very good, nice and tight. HOWEVER, I can hear metallic rining and pinging from the plate amp as volume goes up, which I can lessen by putting my hand on the heatsink/plate. I'm thinking about just sealing the plate amp hole with some MDF and use the plate amp externally. Will need to make plate amp enclosures :(

Looks like I'm looking at some significant woodworking. Any suggestions on good woodworking shops around Zip 91784 (Upland, CA)?

Can you post a few pics of the boxes that fit the 250W apexJr amp?

I got the drum sander at OSH but HD or Lowes should have them too. Just a drill attachment. Maybe 10 bucks?

Easier solution is to find the right sized cigar box, hack it to fit, and use that to cover the backside of the plate amp. you only need a hole for the speaker wire. You lose a tiny bit of enclosure volume but not too bad. If you'd like to take a trip to Tustin I'd be happy to help you with the job.

Last edited:
How is the sound?

QUITE nice, actually. I've always meant to use it for 2-channel music, so I have not/will not really stress it for loud movie bass spectaculars. In large home theater rooms meant for showing off bass, I imagine one should get one or two of them 15-18" ported monsters.

For music, first and foremost, I look for subs that blends well with mains and provide defined bass extension without going "boom" "boom" "boom" separated from the main music. Thankfully, this sealed sub disappears really well while doing its job.

I do prefer how the line-level input sounds over speaker-level, but I have found that to be the case with most subs I've tried.

The M+K plate amp has no back plate, so not isolated, and I do hear metallic pings and ringing if I'm at the rear of the sub, listening. Thus my plan for externally housing the plate amps for my other boxes..

Make sure you seal your edges guys.

The MDF/Chipboard on these isn't the most stable material. Run a bead of woodglue along all exposed edges and rub it in with your finger. Also, make sure to coat the inside of any screw holes to stabilize the material. For this you can use superglue and chase with a screw (immediately remove) if you plan to be unscrewing/rescrewing several times, if not, woodglue works fine.

Also, if you're using the sanding drum expansion method, you may find you have a less than true hole. Specifically the "bottom" of the recess may retain a lip. Fortunately this nice soft MDF can be easily scraped away with the appropriate flat-head screwdriver. Just scrape it around a few times and you can make sure the bottom of the recess is as open as the top.

Anybody think these might be a good match for the MK boxes?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The sealed box design with a 3.65 cubic feet volume (Qtc of .707) has an f3 of 44 Hz. (incredible stereo or musical instrument sound)
Originally designed for an audiophile high-end speaker system.
Re = 6.3 ohms
Le = 1.49mH
Qm =9.70
Qe=0.44
Qt = 0.42
Xmax 4.8mm
Voice Coil Diameter 2.50 inches
Fs = 26.6 Hz
Vas = 6.68 cubic Ft
Sd = 519.45 square centimeters
Magnet weight 56 oz
Sensitivity 91dB 1W/1m
[/FONT]

You guys sugck!!

All the really neat stuff seems to always be getting given away or sold in CALIFORNIA!! Always!

Gosh those are really nice looking cabinets!!

You guys must be grinning ear to ear!!

_-_-

I have used them for several projects, most recently, the addition of a rearfiring 12"+horn to the "big" rig.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's a JBL 2206h with my own flavor supertweeter per Building A Budget (Super?) Tweeter Reaching the stratosphere! Article By Jeff Poth

Crossover is a damped 2nd order electrical on the supertweeter, with a notch, and the midwoof wide open (the 2206h is very well behaved on the top end). Effectively it's about 3rd order at 2500.

They are pretty, but so far pretty empty in my garage. Free boxes ended up with me buying a LOT of various drivers and related items, but haven't had time coincide with space to mess with them. I have the nagging feeling that I may have bought the wrong impedance drivers for my duo woofer subs, but soon I hope, soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.