Filling up the free M&K enclosures - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2010, 03:04 PM   #21
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
I'm taking my son to Howies Gameshack either today or one of the Friday's soon, so I think I may stop by Deepsurplus and get a couple of the $42 woofers they sell for the dual boxes. I bought the last small M&K plate amp that ApexJr had, and its supposed to fit the dual box, so I might actually have sound before much longer.
If you didn't already make the trip....

I believe they're out of the $42 woofers. Infinity Kappa Perfect car subs seem like a good match, as do the creative sound trio 12. I'm going to be doing a few with the trio.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:13 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I bought a pair of the 8 ohm $42 woofer, but didn't ask about larger quantity. Talking to Dave (head Hamster of Hamster audio I think, guy who built the speakers DeepSurplus sold as complete units anyway) and it "may" turn out I grabbed my push pull cabinets from the "wrong" pallet, and may have a smaller internal volume and different sized amp plate spot. Hopefully sometime later this week I will get a chance to check.
Old 5th May 2010, 03:33 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I bought a pair of the 8 ohm $42 woofer, but didn't ask about larger quantity. Talking to Dave (head Hamster of Hamster audio I think, guy who built the speakers DeepSurplus sold as complete units anyway) and it "may" turn out I grabbed my push pull cabinets from the "wrong" pallet, and may have a smaller internal volume and different sized amp plate spot. Hopefully sometime later this week I will get a chance to check.
Son of a gun.... it turns out that the half-dozen of the dual cabs I picked up were ALL the smaller size. Very disappointing as I could very much use the additional cabinet volume!!

Anyone who got some of the bigger ones and would like some smaller ones, or some of the other cabs (I have quite a few of the cherry vinyl-veneer boxes, some of the odd-angle "tubes", some of the gloss mini-enclosures, and a few other odds 'n ends) please let me know. I also have a fair number of grilles, for the larger peg-style sub cabs (they don't fit the cherry), so if anyone has these and needs grilles, let me know.
Old 5th May 2010, 05:32 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post

I also have a fair number of grilles, for the larger peg-style sub cabs (they don't fit the cherry), so if anyone has these and needs grilles, let me know.
If the grills that don't fit the cherry cabs fit the maple cabs, I'll need a few of those.
Old 5th May 2010, 06:10 PM   #25
drjlo is offline drjlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad I found this thread.

I picked up 4 of the bigger single-driver sub boxes and secured the drivers from Deepsurplus (not bad for the $42 price at all), but these drivers only fit on 2 of the 4 boxes

I need to figure out how to widen the outer radius a little bit.. That drum sand looks like a good idea. Where did you get it and for how much?

Also 3 of the 4 boxes actually have plate amp holes that fit the M+K 250 watt plate amp (which I bought from Apex Jr), but the problem is they have pre-drilled holes with metal inserts on the other side, so you can't use the screws that come with the plate amps. Using what seems like the right-size screw, some of the holes/inserts lock in good but others just spin. They may be stripped from prior use (the boxes definitely look used).

I *was* able to assemble one subwoofer with the Deepsurplus driver and M+K plate amp, and it does sound very good, nice and tight. HOWEVER, I can hear metallic rining and pinging from the plate amp as volume goes up, which I can lessen by putting my hand on the heatsink/plate. I'm thinking about just sealing the plate amp hole with some MDF and use the plate amp externally. Will need to make plate amp enclosures

Looks like I'm looking at some significant woodworking. Any suggestions on good woodworking shops around Zip 91784 (Upland, CA)?
Old 5th May 2010, 06:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlo View Post

I picked up 4 of the bigger single-driver sub boxes and secured the drivers from Deepsurplus (not bad for the $42 price at all), but these drivers only fit on 2 of the 4 boxes

I need to figure out how to widen the outer radius a little bit.. That drum sand looks like a good idea. Where did you get it and for how much?

Also 3 of the 4 boxes actually have plate amp holes that fit the M+K 250 watt plate amp (which I bought from Apex Jr), but the problem is they have pre-drilled holes with metal inserts on the other side, so you can't use the screws that come with the plate amps. Using what seems like the right-size screw, some of the holes/inserts lock in good but others just spin. They may be stripped from prior use (the boxes definitely look used).

I *was* able to assemble one subwoofer with the Deepsurplus driver and M+K plate amp, and it does sound very good, nice and tight. HOWEVER, I can hear metallic rining and pinging from the plate amp as volume goes up, which I can lessen by putting my hand on the heatsink/plate. I'm thinking about just sealing the plate amp hole with some MDF and use the plate amp externally. Will need to make plate amp enclosures

Looks like I'm looking at some significant woodworking. Any suggestions on good woodworking shops around Zip 91784 (Upland, CA)?
Can you post a few pics of the boxes that fit the 250W apexJr amp?
Old 5th May 2010, 07:15 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlo View Post

I got the drum sander at OSH but HD or Lowes should have them too. Just a drill attachment. Maybe 10 bucks?

Easier solution is to find the right sized cigar box, hack it to fit, and use that to cover the backside of the plate amp. you only need a hole for the speaker wire. You lose a tiny bit of enclosure volume but not too bad. If you'd like to take a trip to Tustin I'd be happy to help you with the job.

Last edited by badman; 5th May 2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11th May 2010, 04:18 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

This is the first I assembled. For the next two, I'm likely going to house the M+K amp externally and seal the back of subs with something (mdf?).

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

How is the sound?
Old 12th May 2010, 12:56 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How is the sound?
QUITE nice, actually. I've always meant to use it for 2-channel music, so I have not/will not really stress it for loud movie bass spectaculars. In large home theater rooms meant for showing off bass, I imagine one should get one or two of them 15-18" ported monsters.

For music, first and foremost, I look for subs that blends well with mains and provide defined bass extension without going "boom" "boom" "boom" separated from the main music. Thankfully, this sealed sub disappears really well while doing its job.

I do prefer how the line-level input sounds over speaker-level, but I have found that to be the case with most subs I've tried.

The M+K plate amp has no back plate, so not isolated, and I do hear metallic pings and ringing if I'm at the rear of the sub, listening. Thus my plan for externally housing the plate amps for my other boxes..

Hide this!Advertise here!