Better replacement for Wima MKS output caps? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2010, 07:43 AM   #11
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

q:If you see a voltage marking like "250" on a Wima film cap, is that voltage AC or DC?

marking........250 - ......means dc volt
greets
Old 11th April 2010, 07:10 PM   #12
mtl777 is offline mtl777  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys!

I decided to buy three different brands/series of the caps in question:

Epcos MKP
Vishay BC MMKP 383
Evox Rifa PHE840M

I think these are the top three (in that order) of the choices available at DigiKey. I will give each of them a listen and choose what sounds best in my DAC.

Question: Do caps like these need a break-in period before they can sound their best? If so, how long do they need to break in? Due to the limited time I have for this project, I really wish they don't need any break-in so that I can just try one brand and immediately replace it with another if I don't like how it sounds.
Old 12th April 2010, 08:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Film & foil capacitors are usually much better than such metalized film caps.
The PP film & tin foil caps from Relcap are worth to try.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:22 PM   #14
AmCan is offline AmCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Thanks, guys!

Epcos MKP
Vishay BC MMKP 383
Evox Rifa PHE840M

I think these are the top three (in that order) of the choices available at DigiKey. I will give each of them a listen and choose what sounds best in my DAC.

Question: Do caps like these need a break-in period before they can sound their best? If so, how long do they need to break in? Due to the limited time I have for this project, I really wish they don't need any break-in so that I can just try one brand and immediately replace it with another if I don't like how it sounds.
I am looking now to replace some strange values in my HK 17 EQ like .056uf and .0027uf. I am going to have to go with one of these 3 brands as well unless I can find the Multicaps in these values. I am curious now to know how each cap sounded to you?
Old 27th March 2013, 04:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Thanks, guys!

Epcos MKP
Vishay BC MMKP 383
Evox Rifa PHE840M

I am looking now to replace some strange values in my HK 17 EQ like .056uf and .0027uf. I am going to have to go with one of these 3 brands as well unless I can find the Multicaps in these values. I am curious now to know how each cap sounded to you?
Old 28th March 2013, 11:23 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

oncle tom gave you your answer PETP K73-16, bright at the top end to begin with but superb right from the get-go.

I removed an awful 0.1uF/160V Wima MKP 10 cap, the first cap in the pre-amp section of my hybrid amp and removing this crap and replacing it with a K73-16, 1uF/250V opened up my whole system.

These K73-16 caps are rated at either 5% or 10% but actually measure much better - the 0.1uF typically are either spot-on or within 2%.

Because they are so cheap, you can buy 10 of them and match them exactly, very important for coupling caps if you want a truly balanced response from your speakers.

You will be sick at wasting your money on those other caps.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:03 PM   #17
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The size might be also a deciding factor. PETP capacitors of same capacity and voltage are much bigger than polystyrene types. Polypropylenes are also bigger. Film & foil of the same type is bigger that metallized foil. It seems the general rule applies here: "size matters".
Old 28th March 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
oncle tom gave you your answer PETP K73-16, bright at the top end to begin with but superb right from the get-go.

I removed an awful 0.1uF/160V Wima MKP 10 cap, the first cap in the pre-amp section of my hybrid amp and removing this crap and replacing it with a K73-16, 1uF/250V opened up my whole system.

These K73-16 caps are rated at either 5% or 10% but actually measure much better - the 0.1uF typically are either spot-on or within 2%.

Because they are so cheap, you can buy 10 of them and match them exactly, very important for coupling caps if you want a truly balanced response from your speakers.

You will be sick at wasting your money on those other caps.
Belief me I would love to use the PETP or the RTE for that matter, but can you find me a .056uf or .0027uf? Were are you buying the PETP from? I have the K75-10s w/FT3 bypass caps for my crossovers. However, in this instance size is going to matter as the space is designed for a 12mm long cap. I could squeeze a PETP in there if I knew where to get the non-standard values.

So my question remains, in the absence of availability, which is the better polypropylene cap to use? or polyester? Which poison would you choose?

Last edited by AmCan; 28th March 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:39 PM   #19
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you can use silver mica in that capacitance values. They are better than any plastic foil type.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Perhaps you can use silver mica in that capacitance values. They are better than any plastic foil type.
Good suggestion. I know the values are available but i will have to find them all in one place to keep the shipping costs down. If I do any comparison test I will report back on what I found to work well. In an EQ application I really want the caps to be as neutral as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!