Looking for small SPST SMD "switch" (cmos?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a small switch to use to change the gain of an amplifier. The way the amp is drawn, a single SPST will work, the smaller footprint the better. I would just switch in a second resistor that would then be in parallel with the first resistor. I have a 5v supply to work with as an aux supply, but also have access to +-12V, but would prefer not to use this. I'd like to have the option of using a mechanical switch to trigger four of these, or using a microcontroller. I've never used a CMOS switch, but I'm guessing this is exactly what I want.. but feel free to correct me :)

Soren:

I'd like to be able to use a 5v control voltage. Also, I need to handle rail to rail analog voltages, maximum is probably +-15V. Also, as many throws as possible, but when I look at for example some of the sp4t, they have low voltage limitations. Rds-on isn't a huge deal, as it will be in series with a large resistor anyways to set the gain of the amplifier.

Since it's being used in a feedback loop, perhaps even the +-15V can be relaxed, but I'm just not sure. If so, then here is a sp4t that looks nice:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ts3a5017.pdf

... now if I could find a 5v version and to avoid a regulator for this chip..

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Soren:

I'd like to be able to use a 5v control voltage. Also, I need to handle rail to rail analog voltages, maximum is probably +-15V. Also, as many throws as possible, but when I look at for example some of the sp4t, they have low voltage limitations. Rds-on isn't a huge deal, as it will be in series with a large resistor anyways to set the gain of the amplifier.

The Rds-on is actually fairly important, because the switch resistance is usually dependent on the input voltage. A switch with low RDS-on will have lower distortion, because the voltage-dependent resistance introduces distortion.
... now if I could find a 5v version and to avoid a regulator for this chip..

The ADG736 and others in that series have very low resistance and work at 5v.

Another solution is to use a digital potentiometer. Maxim and Xicor have many to choose from. If you can generate the I2C control signals, the MAX5477 is a good choice. Of course, you could also use a digital volume control such as the PGA4311.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.