How to pair the RCA to 5 Pin DIN?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,
I'm noob here and I've search through this forum of how to diy the 2 RCA to 5 Pin Din for my old philips reel to reel player.
As far as I know, the 5, 4 are for the L,R signal. And 2 is for grounding, so, can I ground the sleeve of my 2 RCA cable together into pin 2? Will it cause any distortion or hum to the amplifier?
Thanks
din5dm.gif

Standard pinout for 5 pin din on a tape recorder is

Pin 3 Left output
Pin 5 Right output
pin 2 earth
Pin 4 right input
pin 1 left input

to go from the tape to a preamp use pins 3,5 and 2 where 3 and 5 goto the inner pin of the RCA and pin 2 to both shells.

to record from a tape out on a preamp connect the RCA's to 2(earth) 4 and 1

(for the tape in socket of a pre-amp the wiring is reversed to 3 and 5 inputs and 1 and 4 outputs)

Hopefully I got it the right way round, I still use DIN on my old amp ;)

Last edited:
just new here and i thought my question was related to this thread.
I just bought an old tape recorder (kashtan -1) which uses 5 pin Din connectors. I was looking information about the wiring and it seems that most tape recorders uses just one 5pins din conector for all in/outs, but this one has a rear pannel with five connector and a series of symbols which meaning i'm not capable to figure out.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

any tips?
thanks

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll hazard a guess...

Top ones seems to be microphone symbols and so perhaps L and R mic inputs. I'm not sure what the left symbol within the mic one means though.

Bottom left looks to be an input with the arrow point inwards.. Bottom middle is an output. Bottom right I'm not familiar with. Could there be an input for ceramic phono cartridges ?

Wait and see what anyone else thinks :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.