ASC motor run caps....can they be mounted horizontal???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am designing a pair of 300B monoblocks and I have come up with a chassis concept that would require the ASC's to be mounted in a horizontal orientation. Does anybody know if this is ok being that they are filled with oil?

My plans are to have a 3" tall chassis that is 18" deep and 10" wide. In the middle 4" of the amp from front to back I will seperate the PSU part of the amp from the driver/output part of the amp with 3 of the ASC's lying horizontal oriented longwise from front to back. Imagine two seperate boxes about 7x10" connected by the caps themselves, 3 cylinders conneting the 2 boxes. I think it will look pretty neat but I am concerned about this mounting causing some problem with the caps due to the oil level.

Comments???
Jeff

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oil filled?

Are you certain??

Seems unlikely - most motor run caps today are Polypropylene or other film, and older ones were paper and foil...

Maybe post a jpeg of the items...??

_-_-bear

Have used quite a few "PPIO" ASC oil filled motor run caps over the past few years. (In all orientations) They make lots of them, check out their website for confirmation. Very good for psu use.

Don't confuse motor start caps which are almost always dry (and not rated for continuous duty) with larger motor run caps which are often oil filled and rated for constant operation and quite high currents.

Lots of other companies make them as well.

Last edited:
Cool idea! Can't wait to see pictures. Those caps are industrial and pretty sturdy, should run any way you like. I wouldn't think twice about mounting them sideways or upside down, just not inside out....

I'm pretty sure inside-out has been attempted. The can is opened and the guts re-packed into a piece of plastic pipe and sealed with wax or epoxy, based on the belief that eddy currents induced in the can will hurt the sound.

I've built up an aikido all in one that uses electroytic's, 150uF 450V for the +B. I have two of the ASC motor run caps. would I hear any differences by adding them in parallel to the electroytic's? it would have to long wires running to it, maybe 6" or more. any benefits to adding them at all? the low capacitance I guess you are using them with chokes vs. CRC.

ASC support has stated they can be mounted either way.

thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've built up an aikido all in one that uses electroytic's, 150uF 450V for the +B. I have two of the ASC motor run caps. would I hear any differences by adding them in parallel to the electroytic's? it would have to long wires running to it, maybe 6" or more. any benefits to adding them at all? the low capacitance I guess you are using them with chokes vs. CRC.

ASC support has stated they can be mounted either way.

thanks.

I use them instead of electrolytics wherever there is space because unlike electrolytics they do not wear out. Unfortunately for a given capacitance they are huge relative to an equivalent electrolytic.

I suspect you won't hear much of any difference with the Aikido, but it is probably worth checking out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.