ESP P68, 500v ceramic caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default ESP P68, 500v ceramic caps?

Hello,

I am compiling a parts list on RS for ESPs 300w sub amp, in the BOM on ESPs site it says that 2 500v 100pF ceramic caps are needed (C3 and C6). I dont seem to be able to find any on RS. Does anyone know if they are available?

On ESPs site it also says that Polystyrene caps could be used insted of ceramic ones, so if RS dosent stock 500V 100pF ceramic caps what Voltage rating should the Polystyrene substitutes be?

This sub is to be used in a HT set up so it will be plugged into the sub out of my surround receiver, these are just line level outputs usually and therefore I will need some way of controlling volume, correct?

What methods of volume control have other people used and would recommend, I am looking for something simple(ish) and cheap.

Thank you
Kram
Old 10th June 2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

C3, C6 could get around 100 V across it but hardly at higher frequencies (then you have needed a heavy duty type). Use 100 V at least but can be risky. I recommend >200 V.

Rod says that this capacitor should be of a good quality, doesn't hurt but at bass frequencies those caps don't "exist", don't do anything. They do their job at higher frequencies (100 kHz- 1 MHz)

Hide this!Advertise here!