Tweeter Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I"m newer to the home audio in terms of replacements/building. My current situation is that I have a pair of Polk R50's and had one of the tweeter's blow on me. Not sure how as it doesn't get played very loud. Upon further research I've read that the tweeters aren't the best in these speakers systems so I don't want to replace the with the same models. I have read on the forums that somebody replaced a set with the Sea's 27BFCG, but having to use a lpad. Myself I'm not sure on configurations.

Any suggestions on what would best match up well for replacements?

According to the spec, the R50 XOs the 3/4" tweeter at 2k 2nd order. That is awfully low for a tweeter that small (and likely contributed to its failure), and too low for the MA T3 with its Fs at 1.5k. You should be looking for a tweeter with similar impedance and Fs below 1k (at least)

dave

Where abouts did you find the specifications on the R50's XO? I've been googling like a fool trying to find information only to find trivial answers.:confused::confused:

Would you suggest something along the lines of this tweeter? SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G

Or something a bit different. I'm not too worried about impedance if it ends up a bit lower my amp can handle down to 4 ohms. Unless it drastically changes the sound characteristics of the whole setup. Just really don't want to stick to a tweeter that has a magnet the size of a quarter at best.

I don't pay too much attention to dome tweeters, the go to units tend to be SEAS or VIFA. Last ones i bought were HiVi, but the intended XO was much higher than your needs.

You want to closely match the impedance for the sake of the XO.

dave

Dave,

I am planning of building a line array speaker from a print from a friend using axon t1-s from what he heard the replacement is now morel mdt29. They are so expensive. Do you think I can replace the axon t1-s with fs=1550hz @ 8ohms ( 12 pcs required per chamber with dayton dc28f-8 ( fs-637hz @ 8 ohms without changing the value in the schematic of the original xo. Please advise. This is the only schematic I can find that i can pit together under $600 . I am dying to have this type of speaker.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.