Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2010, 08:46 PM   #1
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Push button power On/Off switch for a 10 mm front panel

I'm searching for a push button on/off power switch (rated >220V, >2A) for a 10 mm black anodized aluminum front panel. It will be the only button on the panel so I would like it to look great!!!
LED illuminated would be fantastic.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Nic
Old 19th February 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Look to the industrial modular stuff like Allen-Bradley or Idec. You pick the operator then add switch blocks to tailor it to your needs. Most of the operators will tolerate a 10mm panel. They're not cheap, but are very high quality and live forever.

Push Buttons from Allen Bradley
Old 19th February 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I used RAFI switces for similar purpose:

LUMOTAST 75, serie costruttiva di pulsanti e interruttori a chiave 250 V
Old 19th February 2010, 03:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

One thing you could do is to get one of these nice momentary push button switches for computer cases

Click the image to open in full size.

And then use the AMB ε24 driver circuit to latch a relay:

The ε24 Power Switch Driver Circuit
Old 19th February 2010, 06:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Metal core Waterproof mushroom push button [SWT103A2B] - $5.50 : Seeed Studio Depot, Arsenal for interaction engineering

massive overkill but cheap
Old 19th February 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I found this from Bulgin. It handles enough voltage/current, will fit a 10 mm panel, is illuminated, but unfortunately not black as the one suggested by MoodySteve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 133200007-40.jpg (9.6 KB, 242 views)
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:12 PM   #7
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you will really need an LED driver circuit like the softstart one from AMB or Hypex. its not absolutely necessary, but a separate power supply really should be used. the inrush from a DAC??? isnt usually that large in general, but the LED type momentary switches are not usually rated for switching mains, so you need some other circuit to take care of that using a relay and something to keep the relay latched. some of these also include sophisticated soft start circuits as well for large amps, some not. but its definitely not as simple as using one of these switches instead of a regular type, no matter the application
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The push button will turn on a power amp and I already have a nice (at least I think so) soft-start circuit from 41Hz that features some surge protection, fair quality mains filtering, AC direct and AC delayed output, power for an ON/OFF LED. All operated by a latching power switch.
I intend to connect the AC direct output to IEC outlets wired to my DAC and possibly a pre-amp. The delayed AC output to feed the power-amp transformers (2x180VA).
I hope this will ensure a correct start-up sequence, some mains protection and filtering for the whole system - all with the push of a single button.
I do like momentary switches but I have bad experiences with the efficacy of simple de-bouncing circuitry.
I did find and order this switch that I think will fit my needs perfectly.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by NicMac; 22nd February 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

Hide this!Advertise here!