Unknown transformer rating?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2003, 11:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Unknown transformer rating??

Hi, I have just recieved my two nice big transformers today, but at the moment I know very little about them other than the fact that they are 40 - 0 - 40 rated with two 115 primarys (will be wired in series for 230 opperation). The external dimensions for them are 200 X 80 mm, they weigh about 10kg (or more) each and the secondary windings consist of three strands of 1.5mm diameter solid copper wire for each connection. SO, I was wondering if anyone would like to take a guess at what teh VA rating for these things might be. Or, if there are any people out thre who have large (1000VA+) transformers already which i could compare these up against. I have included a pic below, which also shows a computer disk for the size reference if that will help.

sorry, but I realy can't spell today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tranny1.jpg (27.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 4th June 2003, 03:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Post an accurate weight so others can weigh theirs of known rating for comparison.
Old 4th June 2003, 08:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have checked the weight, and the transformer comes in at a hefty 13.6kg (30lbs). I guess this goes some way to explaining why I decided to build two monoblocks with these once I had picked them up, instead of one large dual mono chassis.

The biggest one I have found so far to campare it with, is a 1000VA model sold by RS in the UK whihc 'only' weighs 6.5kg, so I am very interested to try and get other peoples feedback on their own transformers.
Old 4th June 2003, 09:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Actualy, forget that last coment, I have just been having a look arround (I should be revising now, oops) and I have found a web site with aproximate weights and sizes for custom transformars and their ratings. From what their table shows, tha transformars come out somwhere in the range on 2200VA - 2700VA depending on mains frequency. SO if this is the case and some other people out there can confirm this value would be about correct for these, then I would be very happy indeed.

The page I found is here:

http://www.toroid.com/custom_transfo...ransformer.htm
Old 4th June 2003, 09:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

More.

I just found the picture below on the avel lindburg website, in their custom design section, and I have to say that this looks very similar to the one I have (the top one of the three), with a similar type of wrap and epoxy coating. Also, the ones I have a marked with a stamp which states "AL 8", so I think that this could very well be the scource of my transformers.

I also forgot to mention before that the transformer itself has the following hand written markings on:

40/6508/3
13/94

Now, I am only guessing, but the bottom line looks like a production date (week 13, 1994), and the top line may give a better idea to it's rating, as the secondaries are 40V, and there are some additional lines which I haven't mesured yet that may corespond to the other values on there.

So, as an extra question, has anyone out there ever seen what they know to be a custom transformer from avel Lindburg, and can you confirm any of the markings on it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans_varnish.jpg (12.3 KB, 75 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!