Right-angle PC mount noval sockets - source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, lurked here for a while, registered to download a eagle library of tube sockets... thanks for that! I have been on the hunt for right-angle noval PCB souckets... I cant seem to find a source anywhere, but I KNOW I remember seeing them somewhere. I am putting together a bass guitar preamp in a 1U rack, and rather than place the tubes off-board, this would have me quite a bit of wiring. Does anyone know a source for these? I seem to remember seeing them in a gutshot of an Alembic F2B. Also, anyone have an eagle footprint? I didn't see a right angle one in the library I downloaded.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Hi,

An easy/quick alternative is to make a small secondary PCB to hold the Socket...

Ciao T

That was my initial plan, but I'm not convinced thats the best option. I'm having the pcb etched and the company only allows one "design" for paneling. To have a second pcb etched I'd have to drop another hundred dollars or so and have a bunch of these 2-tube pcb's lying around. That, and I'm trying to minimize the length of my high impedence traces... I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to pcb layout so I'm just trying to follow the most safeest of rules I can dig up.

still got them too.....

Attachments

• RtAngle9pinTN.jpg
    RtAngle9pinTN.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 218
And Joe, whenever you do need a second board, don;t make it a completely separate board. Do what the commercial amp makers do, just make the socket board on the edge of the main board or even in the center, with perferations around it and it becomes a snap-off part.

For examples look at how Peavey made the one large board into several on like the 5150 or the Rockmaster preamp, or how fender made one board snap into three for the Hot Rod DeVille.

One advantage of making the sockets flat is that pushing the tube into the socket causes no shear stress on the socket mounting.

And Joe, whenever you do need a second board, don;t make it a completely separate board. Do what the commercial amp makers do, just make the socket board on the edge of the main board or even in the center, with perferations around it and it becomes a snap-off part.

For examples look at how Peavey made the one large board into several on like the 5150 or the Rockmaster preamp, or how fender made one board snap into three for the Hot Rod DeVille.

One advantage of making the sockets flat is that pushing the tube into the socket causes no shear stress on the socket mounting.

sounds like I have some learning to do in Eagle :) Understood about the sheer stress. I'm an recent engineering school grad, those terms are music to my ears.

I think I'm going to strip down this effort and do it on terminal strips instead for the bass preamp at least, and do non-board mounted tubes... it'll allow me to build it with the parts I have on hand with minimal sacrifice in sound quality since its only an instrument preamp, not a hifi thing. Plus it'll allow me to put more time / money towards a phono preamp.

Thanks for the heads up... lots of info on these forums.

Following up: I have access to some Mechanical Engineering students at a University I attend part time. Would there be any interest in having a run of the ones similar to what Apex Jr has (as posted above) but made with PCB sockets? I can probably get one of the ME profs to pitch that as a potential project in a CAD design course, and we can reap the benefits. I figure small enough to fit inside a 1U rack case, screw mounts to mount off board, but with PCB pins extending out and down 2 rows, 1 of 5 pins the other of 4 pins? Any interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.