2N2222A transistor and transisitor history

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ivey, while I don't agree with you as to the numbering, I did with many of the same transistors, back in the mid '60's, first the 2N404, then the 2N697, then to the 2N1304 and 2N1305 ge complementary devices. Later, of course, came the 2N2222,2N2907 and finally the 2N4401 and 2N4403 in 1968. Often the 4401 and the 2222 are inter-changable, so don't worry too much, everyone. Virtually all the numbers are filled in by someone, so it must just be a sequential numbering order.

Wavebourn

Yes, that is true, I remembering see that design from Russia. Was that really you?

Our CIA, was better in those days, they collected everything, even if it was not of military importance.

Did you guys get your hands of some our designs back then. It was from one of the AN/G76 1959-1966. We had stop using that design. Replace it with IBM 8"computer recorder disk. We were into early digital recordings. 4 and 8 bit 8000 and 8080 computer setups.

We went over most Russian designs with a fine tooth comb. That was How we knew that the SSN6 were not effective. And that the TU4 was not that good of a copy.

I was in Germany in 1959 looking over the building of their Airforce with F-84 swept wing jet. Trying to cross patch their radar tracking of Russian and East German Mig-17's,19's, and SU-7's at that time. I was given access to Russian listening equipment, that some how made its way into West Germany at the time.

I have some Russian transistors of the seventies. KT701, 707. Very high gain units. Almost a copy of the BC548. It is built on the Pro Electron base dies.

I will have my son purchase the PCB package tomorrow.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Hi Ivey;

No, it most probably was not my design, but somebody else's: all transistors have 3 legs, and it was logical to come to this solution that was used everywhere, in many variations, like opamps brought new variations later.

I was never involved in military projects, trying always to know less secrets in order to sleep better, but I heard a rumor that KGB did the same as CIA did: they were stealing everything they could. Unfortunately, sometimes authorities were convinced by spooks that you Americans had superior technologies, so forced our engineers to close perspective projects and start copying what they stole. My speculation is, they wanted to justify money they were spending on an espionage. Such a way many good projects were killed, and Russian electronics was planned to follow obsolete American developments.

About Tu-4 I heard even funnier story: Stalin demanded to copy everything. That's why radio transmitter (IIRR TR-13?) was made with holes in the case, originally made by Japanese machine-gun. People were afraid to question Stalin's order, it was very dangerous. My father got 25 years in 1947, but fortunately was released from jail in 1954, after Stalin's death. Being in Rokossovsky's staff, they got used to criticize Stalin and other top management, but after the war was over the history "had to be rewritten", so all critics lost all privileges and went to Siberian jail. That's why I was born in Siberia.

Last edited:
tmblack

Yes, there is a big differenc.

Metal sealed 2N2222A's, most are military grade. Not to the higher Mil-Std 196A, but to the Mil-Std 196E. But still a far cry from the PN2222A, that is to the standards set by the country where the item is made.

PN2222A's, made in Japan, is made to the Japanese Industrial Standards, which are very close to Mil-Std 196A, set in 1953 towards all military components and electronic equipment.

A PN2222A, made in Taiwan, Korea, China, or India. Are made to those nations Industrial Standards. It allows for the products to be made cheaper, with inexpensive labor.

Most of those nations do use UL standards and FCC standards, which allows them to export their items to the United States, Canada, and other British Holdings.

If you are able to obtain a PN2222A, made in the US. Please let me know. I will buy 200 of them before they are all sold. Because the sonic difference is not there. But from 1973, on ward. Those items were coming from the various ponds around the world.

If you want to use a PN2222A, it will sound ok. But a 2N4401, will do a much better job for sound. It is thicker than the PN2222A chip. It osc far less at odd freq. And handles current a little better. It also has a lower freq range, not too much less; but lesser.

Doug DeMaw published a great deal of information on the 2N4401 useage, so I am telling you things that I read and know for sure. I tried them all out myself.

Take Care

Ivey

There was this Russian guy in the 70's who contributed circuits to 'Wireless World'. He emigrated, to NY, USA. I spoke to him a few times. He felt that the rest of us stole all his ideas, and he called us all kinds of interesting names. Wavebourn could probably remind me what those names were (although he never uses them, himself) but they were very quaint.

Are they any sonic differences between the planar and epitaxial transistors?
Metal 2n2222A or plastic PN2222A packaging?

Planar and epitaxy (the "layer" diffused into the raw silicon on which the transistor is produced) are part of the same thing.

PNxxxx is just a cheaper package of the metal 2Nxxxx using EXACTLY the same die. However different manufacturers will use different die layouts - they only have to meet the minimum specifications.

You may need to listen to them both to hear a difference - there is no evidence for it.

The 2N2222 is in no way a special or magic device, despite Walter Mitty. However it has always been a good rugged workhorse device and I must have used/specified thousands of them over the last 40 years.

cliff:

And to all others>

I will give my last and finial statement on this. Because it has come to a point that there too many persons with the idea or ideas, that just because they have some knowledge or information on this submit. They can argue the matter until the Sulu Sea freezes over.

Now Cliff, lets you and I, get one thing correct.

You are wrong. Not incorrect, but wrong.

Motorola, made the first 2N2222 in TO-92. The MPS2222. One year later, they released the MPS2222A. They did the same thing with the MPS2907, followed by the MPS2907A. In the same order

Motorola was not sure that TO-92 case was going to be successful.
Those transistors were exact copies, not the PN2222 or PN2222A

Motorola required cash for their heavy entry into computer chip making. They were far behind Intel, Texas Instruments, and others.

Motorola/Freescale, leased their entire transistor lines to Texas Instrument, Central, and other semiconductor makers. offering them a chance to produce Mil Spec transistors without the investment into R & D.

You may have used the PN2222A Ciff, and got what you consider good results. But the PN2222A was and is a cheaper version of the MPS2222A.
Not the 2N2222A.

If you were to check the data sheet of a PN2222A. You would discovered that it was made for the use in telephone communications and industrial lite switching chores. And not for general purpose use, that covers audio. Remember that telecommunication audio freq. are not hi fi.

The problem is..., is that so many people drifted to the PN2222A because of its cheap cost, that retailers, not the transistor makers; list it as a GP transistor when it is not.

Texas Instrument did the final development on the PN2222A, prior to its over sea manufacturing. The PN2222A and PN3869A use the similar wafer doping.

This subject is now closed for me. I will no longer reply.

Take Care

Ivey

What an old Fool I am

Cliff:

You may never want speak to this old fool again.

But you are correct in one sense and I was correct in another.

To all members. MY knowledge is long and vast. But businees mens greed is more vast.

I wish to say to all members and to Cliff the most.

I am very sorry for my out burst and quick judgement.

If any of our members out there have a Motorola Semiconductor MasterSelection Guide dated 1995. Turn to page number 5.1-7.

There you will see the truth.

When Motorola left the transistor business, it leased its technology. And its Freescale division started selling transistor under its own name as well. Now there are PN2222A's being sold as general purpose transistors.

Motorola list it as P2N2222A. Others as PN2222A. Which is
P=Plastic
N=transistor
id # 2222A
There is no need to list the 2, because we all know that a bjt has 2 junctions.

At DataSheet.Com, Motorola is no longer listed under PN2222A.

Cliff..., I am indeed sorry.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Electronics, has been a major part of my adult life, since I could remember. I as a child, sat in our living room, with big brown eyes, looking at these huge glowing balls of glass, wondering how did they get all that music and people in there. And why is it that I could not see them, no matter how hard I tried.

Some of us know when to move on. Sylvania, tried with Its Hep line and ECG line to stay into transistor production. Sprague tried to stay, Texas Instrument tried to stay, but IMB saw the light before any of them, and left transistor manufacturing in 1959.

Soon they were followed by Motorola, GE, RCA, and a host of others. The ones that pioneered an industry, that no longer exist.

Soon, I will be gone as well. But we tried to leave a tradition, that others could and would follow. A tradition forged on quality and trust. Where a man actually got, what he paid for.

I have seen in these last few days, that our tradition, is not and will not stand. We tried to give the world that we grew up in; the best. But something went wrong.

It is a shame when someone drives up in a Lotus, and call it an Aston Martin. Because they are not the same. Nor do the quality come close to it.

Apples are apples; and lemons are lemons.

Now we settle for less. We settle for less effective government, less quality clothes, food, homes, hell..., everything. We allow ourselves to be fleeced, and swindled into believing that a Ford is a BMW in quality. And paying nearly the same amount of money.

A PN2222A, KSP2222A, P2N2222A, even a MPS2222A, is not a 2N2222A in quality. Not when you can buy 2,000 of them for 2 cents or less on the dollar. You can not take a Volks Wagon and claim that it is as good as a Porch.

But the Retailers and manufactures are doing just that.

I (as well as some of you) seen where a TO-92 transistor, that have sat out in the weather for years, and when you try to work with it. It falls apart in your hands.

There is a sound that a pure 2N2222A chip makes. It has a warmth, that few people know of.

I can not tell you what to do or believe. But I can ask you to look at one book if it is available to you. The Motorola Semiconductor Master Selection Guide and Catalog dated 1984. Read pages 295 to 297. It speaks of "Hi Reliability products.

Some will say, "why should I worry about a 5 cent transistor". Because we use to say the same thing about a 45-50 cent tube in the 1950's. Now people are paying small fortunes for those tubes. As well as fortunes for the newer ones, which are of less quality. And besides, we work hard for our money.

If we allow our doctrines, customs, and practices in electronics; to go the way of tubes, cars, and the rest of the things that we value in life. We will lose.

Take Care

Ivey

How we are fooled and driven like sheep

We are not fooled because we are innocent. We are fooled because of our failure to do our homework, and read, plus remember. Above all, remember.

Motorola, list the P2N2222A in its 1995 transistor guide (listed in an earlier post), as a transistor for telcom uses. It clearly states that.

They should know, right, because they made the thing.

Now..., if you type up PN2222A on google. the Wikipedia pops up. It tells you about the PN2222A and P2N2222A.

Yet now, they are selling the PN2222A as a general purpose unit. Yes, it works, so will a 2N4401 or a 2N3904.

So, we have finally come down to this.

If it works. SELL IT. Regardless..., besides who cares, who will remember.

Me! I will remember.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
2n404

What goes around, comes around. Street physics. Great stuff. But if it makes you Money. It is even better stuff.

Discoveries, is what we humans dream about. Motorola had this great discovery by accident. Which made it an investment profit triple threat.

The world was sacked with 2N404 Ge transistors left over from the transistor boom. No one was making it any more for consumer use. The military had its supply and they were too expensive to invest in.

So Motorola decide to make a silicon replacement. It was the MPS404 and MPS404A. They were good, only too good.

They showed outstanding switching, good amplification, and a freq range that started at 4mhz. They could not measure a max freq for the transistors.

With a little more development. Motorola soon stop making the MPS404 series and produce their outstanding line of MPS-H line of RF transistors.

If you come across any MPS404 transistors. You will have a good rf and gp transistor on your hands. It is rated as 12volts for MPS404 and 25 volts for MPS404A.

You can use it to replace both Ge and Si general purpose transistors and rf transistors. But remember, they are silicon base units. But the good thing about it, if you have the MPS404A, you can replace a huge range of Ge transistors, with only one silicon type unit.

Great stuff, ha.

Information located in Motorola Semiconductor Data Library Volume 3, dated 1974. I have all nine volumes.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Hi Ivey;

when we were younger trees were taller, grass greener, flowers smellier...

There are many great parts today, better than 2n2222a, because technologies are better developed, crystals are cleaner, and designer better understand chemistry, physics and technology.

Motoshiba developed over years transistors that eat early devices on breakfast. They know well what geometries to use to deal with Kirk and Early effects, for example. How to make devices with very thin bases, but capable of higher voltages. That saturate on millivolts, have huge Ft, and almost flat curves of dependence of beta on currents.
Zetex Semiconductors made nice devices, over years.
And so on...

You know, a grass is still green, even when it grows through an asphalt...

You are right Scott they did.

But what they did not do, was to make it available for sale, or to electronic equipment makers. They got smart, just like Bell Labs, they leased their discoveries.

Texas Instrument was a small firm and the outlay of $25,000.00 to Bell Labs for leasing its germanium technology was a large sum of money, for items that no one was buying at the time; but the military.

I stated in an earlier post, that those gentlemen made the first silicon transistor Scott. I am glad to know I am not the only one who knew it.

Take Care

Ivey

You are correct too Wavebourn:

My friend, most people do not understand the difference between the annular and planar process of the chip and wafer designs.

Planar design is a great design for transistors in separate packages or one on one. But the annular process was wasted on singular transistor designs. CMOS today use the annular radiation hardening process, for getting all those tiny npn's and pnp's to work right. the V Annular process is what is moving us towards the new Nano Technology that we are hoping to obtain.

The engineers of the world are working together to find the secrets to good and reliable Nano technology.

Annular radiation hardening process, is needed to keep the chip pure and heat stable. As more and more transistors are being pumped into a much smaller space. But with the thinness of bases, shields, annular grooves, and canals. I fear that we will reach our limits.

We are reducing the voltage used to propel the carriers, yet the friction of those carriers and the demand needed to move them, increases the current demands, which increases the wattage level. So the offset is very small right now. That is why we require a mass of cooling heatsinks to keep it together.

As we go from single core to dual, to quad and beyond. We'll reach a limit as to how far we can go.

We can parallel cores to reduce current demands, but as the core loads increase, whether using parallel cores or stack layers. Burn thru's will happen to the thin films that we are using today. Reliability will become a serious issue.

Your statement that there are better transistor out there than the 2N2222A, is true. I agree with you 100%. We need to move on. Because we need to educate our people for the future. And look to tomorrow.

There is another transistor that I came across in 1999. It is the J501P made by Philips. Yet today is no longer available for open retail sales. Just through semiconductor vendors.

I bought 300 through liquidation. I paid a whole $6.50 dollars for them. They are great. A real sleeper of transistor. They are similar to SS9014C.

But a little cleaner in current noise.

I called Philips and ask about them. I was told that they use a good silicon mix for those units. But hearing is believing, they sound ok.

But then at my age, plain sound, sounds ok.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited:
Wavebourn:

If that PCBCAD30, does not work out well, I will re-inburst you, for your funds.

I ask my son to purchase it for me. And he said no. He stated that I had enough PCB packages. And some of them are 2,000 to 4,100 dollar packages. Those being Eagle Professional, Protel 99SE, and DXP 2004. Not to mention PCBPAD4.0.

So I did not get it. Besides, when I decided to buy it anyway, they were no longer selling it.

So I looked up this NigelWright7557 guy. He is somewhat of a con artist. There are not too many nice things being said about him and his comrad Marra. An I can not find too much on this PCBCAD30.

So what do you think

Tare Care

Ivey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.