Polar electro with bypass cap to replace nonpolar as coupling cap? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2010, 03:05 AM   #1
at77 is offline at77  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Polar electro with bypass cap to replace nonpolar as coupling cap?

hey all,
just doing a mod on a recording interface - i love the sound of the kz caps for coupling. i have a stereo signal path that currently uses 4 x 22f bi-polar caps (that i replaced with nichicon ES... were jamicon).
anyway, i have some nichicon KZ 10f caps on hand. I really dig the sound of them on the mic preamp that i modded. I want now to try them on my main output paths. Only thing stopping me is that currently the nonpolar caps are stock.
Can I simply do this?...
drop in the KZ caps with positive lead toward the opamp, negative toward the output. then throw a 0.1f poly bypass cap on the leads to accommodate the bi-polar-ness?
I had read somewhere that i should measure the DC voltage between each set of leads on the nonpolar caps to find any positive value and use that to orient my polar caps. seems odd to me, but what do i know. the voltage that i did measure was very, very low (fractions of millivolts). should there be signal going for such measurements if so? is it necessary?
thanks for any input.
cheers,
AT

Hide this!Advertise here!