Need Help choosing Stepped attenuators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some stepped attenuators for use as gain (not volume) controls on some DIY power amps.

I'm looking at these on ebay: New 21 Step Attenuator Potentiometer 10K Log Stereo - eBay Integrated Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics. (end time 24-Jan-10 02:34:09 AEDST) They have 10k, 20k, 50k and 100k values available.

I will be feeding the power amps with the output of my soundcard RME(FF400) - it has selectable output levels that I intend to make use of to maintain best possible DA resolution while listening at low volumes:
0dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19dBu
0dBFS @ +4dBu: +13dBu
0dBFS @ -10dBV: +2dBV

Which value attenuators should I use?
Is there a minimum attenuation? I still want to be able to get maximum volume out of my amps if necessary.

make the pot much less than the input impedance of the power amp.
If Power Rin=100k then 20k pot is suitable
Rin=50k then 10k pot.
Rin=10k then 2kpot.

Which of those DAC output options can drive which load resistance paralleled with some cable capacitance? I suspect none of them can properly drive 2k//500pF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.